Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: And another Hunter shot

Default And another Hunter shot

So with this recent hunter getting shot in SE what is the toll so far for 2012? This is getting out of hand.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Haven't heard of a recent SE event. Got a link?

A 40-year-old man was shot in the arm while hunting deer on Chichagof Island near Hoonah during a hunting accident..

People would be well served to take all the bullets out of their gun, and put them in their pocket, while searching for wounded game. And never, ever split up and take a quick shot when looking for wounded game.

Was he walking around hunting with a round in the chamber?

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    People would be well served to take all the bullets out of their gun, and put them in their pocket, while searching for wounded game. And never, ever split up and take a quick shot when looking for wounded game.
    I'm not a fan about a round chambered during a hunt unless ready to fire on game our you are following up on a wounded bear.If my partners wern't on the ready this year they would have been chewed!Gun saftie is a must if I hunt with you.Sorry to hear about all of these that keep popping up...Just wonder how many could have been avoided.Had a scare with a Remmie 700 this fall that was no ones fault that if not caught when we did would have ended bad.

Default peer pressure

I think the positive action to take in response to this recent rash of this is to commit to expecting 100% safe gun handling by all members of the party, and when something happens that isn't safe, its gotta be OK to speak up and just say so right then.

I had a buddy catch me sneaking up on a downed caribou with my .44 in hand, and like an idiot I had my finger on the trigger, in case he so much twitched after one .338 brought him down where he had stood. I was mere yards away from the caribou thinking nothing of hunter safety, just ready to react to what I thought was sure to happen; that he'd wag his head around. My buddy just said "finger off trigger" and I did so and said thanks. It can be just that simple when someone makes a mistake like I had made.

Another thing that can help is just after your hunting party experiences an episode where they had believed they'd take a shot any second - or maybe they had shot. Right after the action is over and you're talking about it and/or measuring antlers, tell all hunters to please put their safeties back on, and consider clearing the action as well. Usually at this moment there is too much adrenaline in the air for some to remember gun safety.

Just short & quiet reminders, and leading by example.

We need to correct this ourselves, and that means peer pressure. If the state has to make a correction to help this situation we'll likely all find ourselves in a remedial hunter safety course soon - you know you don't want that.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I think the positive action to take in response to this recent rash of this is to commit to expecting 100% safe gun handling by all members of the party, and when something happens that isn't safe, its gotta be OK to speak up and just say so right then.

I had a buddy catch me sneaking up on a downed caribou with my .44 in hand, and like an idiot I had my finger on the trigger, in case he so much twitched after one .338 brought him down where he had stood. I was mere yards away from the caribou thinking nothing of hunter safety, just ready to react to what I thought was sure to happen; that he'd wag his head around. My buddy just said "finger off trigger" and I did so and said thanks. It can be just that simple when someone makes a mistake like I had made.

Another thing that can help is just after your hunting party experiences an episode where they had believed they'd take a shot any second - or maybe they had shot. Right after the action is over and you're talking about it and/or measuring antlers, tell all hunters to please put their safeties back on, and consider clearing the action as well. Usually at this moment there is too much adrenaline in the air for some to remember gun safety.

Just short & quiet reminders, and leading by example.

We need to correct this ourselves, and that means peer pressure. If the state has to make a correction to help this situation we'll likely all find ourselves in a remedial hunter safety course soon - you know you don't want that.
    +1 FamilyMan

I have gotten to the point of checking hunters guns when I guide them.. Several years ago and more then once I had asked hunters not to keep one in the chamber and explained I will give them plenty of warning to put one in if needed and after returning to camp see them jack one out of the chamber.. not cool with me... SAFETY cures a lot of things..

Default And another Hunter shot

Another good habit is everyone checks their chamber before getting in a boat. With multiple ingress and egresses a day it makes for good safety.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Burns me up guys running around with round in the chamber just because. They always say its on safe, so what unload it, chamber a rd when you are ready to shoot...

[QUOTE=Bear;1201861]+1 FamilyManI have gotten to the point of checking hunters guns when I guide them.. Several years ago and more then once I had asked hunters not to keep one in the chamber and explained I will give them plenty of warning to put one in if needed and after returning to camp see them jack one out of the chamber.. not cool with me... SAFETY cures a lot of things..[All my buddies declare when jacking a shell in..Exept one occasion when there was some excitement and checked the man with a gun that wasn't takeing care of were it was pointed...needles to say it was loaded with the safetie off and sweared it wasn't loaded,last time he tagged along.You guides have a lot to worry about.More and more I hear about it does chases me from my dream..Don't think I'll like giving up what I do every year to put up with the stuff you guys do!!

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Burns me up guys running around with round in the chamber just because. They always say its on safe, so what unload it, chamber a rd when you are ready to shoot...
    +1 I'm a single shot fan and you will never see me load up until necessary!!

[QUOTE=Kotton;1201873]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    +1 FamilyManI have gotten to the point of checking hunters guns when I guide them.. Several years ago and more then once I had asked hunters not to keep one in the chamber and explained I will give them plenty of warning to put one in if needed and after returning to camp see them jack one out of the chamber.. not cool with me... SAFETY cures a lot of things..[All my buddies declare when jacking a shell in..Exept one occasion when there was some excitement and checked the man with a gun that wasn't takeing care of were it was pointed...needles to say it was loaded with the safetie off and sweared it wasn't loaded,last time he tagged along.You guides have a lot to worry about.More and more I hear about it does chases me from my dream..Don't think I'll like giving up what I do every year to put up with the stuff you guys do!!

I used to feel like an arse for asking to see but man it just freaks me out thinking how things could of been. One of those times was on Kodiak and we were walking through a bunch of alder and I tell ya I was steaming when I found out he had on chambered and behind me. I am quite certain the muzzle was pointed at me more then once.. Lots of sad stories out there and we ALL need to keep ourselves and each other in check ...

Statistically(CDC), Alaska ranks 3rd with the most gun related deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Well said... loaded chambers and sloppy gun handling are a tragedy looking for a place to happen.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I may have posted this at one time. I had a wooden cigar box half full of ammo from unloaded firearms. this was when I owned a sporting goods store. Guys would come in ( sometimes even pointing the firearm at me or clerks ) and asked if I had a holster to fit or do you have a soft case for this rifle.OOPS, they's say, I could have sworn I checked when I last put it away. What ever happened to check EACH time the firearm is handled ? Also, treating every gun as if it were loaded. Never, ever, point towards a person. I just hope one person goes to check NOW to be sure of their firearms safety and if so I'll be glad I posted this.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Well said... loaded chambers and sloppy gun handling are a tragedy looking for a place to happen.
    ya its pretty wild,.. i never hunt with a shell in the chamber,..brush and twigs can easily pull your sh** off safety so it aint worth it i have even had my bolt pulled back while in some brush,.. these fools dont know a thing about gun safety they are not even sportsmans

I've posted this before, maybe a couple years ago... Was in a gun shop in Oregon when an old guy comes in with six or seven old rifles under his arm, dumps them en masse on the counter with all the muzzles pointed at me. I quickly side step while flashing him the evil eye... he's oblivious. The shop owner starts opening and clearing the actions...at least half of them had loaded chambers. Shop owner flashes me a knowing look, then gives the old guy a look of disgust...he's still oblivious. Still gets my blood pressure up to this day. Some people simply don't have the brains god gave a box of rocks.

FM's post #7 is, I think, the best advice going. Educate, remind, and reinforce good safety practices among ourselves. And for those like the old guy in the above scenario; see and avoid.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Also, treating every gun as if it were loaded. Never, ever, point towards a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    Another good habit is everyone checks their chamber before getting in a boat.
    All 3 of those rules are very very strongly reinforced during today's mandatory (unless you're older than dirt) hunter safety class.

Rabbit Creek has a rickety old boat sitting a the range on dry land just to practice exactly that. Its cool to see a group of mostly 9-13 year olds handing the dummy rifles to another to hold while they climb into the boat. Each time the dummy rifle is handed between hunter and holder the action is examined by the recipient.

Its really not to much to ask for in everyday hunting, for all members of your party.

Altruistically, your decision to expect safety helps them.

Self-centeredly, if they go and shoot and/or drown themselves or another, you could be the "or another", and even if you're not its still going to really screw up your hunt.

Kept admonishing him for seeing his muzzle - made him walk in front of me back to the truck and never took him hunting with me again.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast