Thread: Kodiak deer

Default Kodiak deer

Hi everyone, I was planning a DIY fly out hunt for next fall till my wife and I received some amazing news that we have a little guy on the way!!! But my dreams of a fly out hunt now seem out of reach for next year. My new plan is to acquire a trespass permit from a native corporation and hike off the road for them in September. I realize it will be some tough hiking and the deer will be way up high, but Im sure I can handle it. Does anyone think this is a totally terrible idea? Or does anyone have any input or advice on hunting the road system in September? This is a fantastic resource for new guys to get into some hunting in Alaska, and i would appreciate any input.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Congrats on the little one. All I can say is bring a raincoat, and be prepared to hike uphill a lot. If you take to the high country, and get a window in the weather, you might get lucky. You may not need a permit. There's a gravel road that leads up the American River although I don't know how far it goes. I saw deer hunters going up that way last month. Also, parking at the pass on Pasagshak Road and taking to the high country on either side. Watch out for private land down low.

I'm sorry, I made an assumption that you were talking about Kodiak. As far as Southeast Alaska deer go... I wouldn't know.

Thanks, ill look into those areas. Ill make sure to bring my rain gear.

Lots of places to hunt the road system, if you bring an ATV you can get back to Saltry and hike in from there. Deer are here still, the winter kill wasn't all that bad, I bumped 2 bucks this weekend hunting deer and had passed a nice one on the road last night.

Well I dont have an ATV so ill be hoofin it. So you guys think its do-able to get into some decent hunting off the road system?

Yes, just be willing to put the time in a cover ground, both with your eyes and your feet.

Awesome, thats what I needed to hear, am I right in thinking that they will be way up in the alpine at that time of the year?

Yup, get up there a stay there.

Awesome, thanks.