Thread: Kenai bears

Smile Kenai bears

Totally cool that they are opening up the Kenai for brown bear hunting again. I had no clue they were even considering even with all of our complaining. Anyone have any info on how and when this happened? Is there new information on the number of bears? In any case, the area can easily support this hunt and the winners should have no problems filling their tags. There is brown bear sign everywhere when you are hiking now.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Man, I've wanted to hunt Kenai browns for a long time. I don't get that itch in other places, but in my hiking and fishing across the Kenai I see so many bears. I'm going to put in for a tag, but with how few they're giving away it looks like it might be a long shot. Worth a try, though.

Default No Fall Season

Notice how they snuck in the cancellation of the fall season if there are too many DLP's, just like they have doing with the registration. I don't think they have revised their thinking at all on the fact that there are a lot more bears than they say their are. No big news here.

Default DLP

I didnt notice that BF. That bites. Imagine winning a permit, scouting and planning a hunt and then having it cancelled because of a couple of DLPs. In my mind the number of DLP's is more justification for a hunt, not less. Some of these bear encounters are happening in places that usually didnt have brown bears so I believe there are more bears around these days.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

hasn't it been a registration permit for a while but to many bozos shoot russian river bears for them to open up a season? Or am I just stupid? (probably the latter I haven't paid that much attention)

They really need to open up the eagle river valley to taking a few grizzlies, its pretty scary down there
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

There's a total of 18 tags for the peninsula.

Default Kenai Bears

As I understand it, the hunt was set up so that the permit is good for a regulatory year (July 1 - June 30) rather than a calendar year. This distinction was written into the regulations so even if the FALL season is cancelled as a result of high DLP numbers, the permit will still be valid the following SPRING.

Of course, make sure to verify before heading into the field.
    Hope this helps -

Tom

I think Tom L is right about the permit good for the regulatory year. I also think the high number of DLPs is the reason for the season (ha). Hopefully they take some of the "problem" bears next spring and there are less DLPs...at least that is what I heard they are trying to do. Successful or not, we'll see.

Thumbs up

If the fall hunt is closed due to DLP's, those permit holders will still have a chance to hunt brown bears in the spring. Per the Soldotna Fish and Game Office.

Default "subsistence" brown bears

I thought that I read somewhere that there is a proposal for the up coming subsistence board meeting for each resident of Ninilchik be allowed 2 brown bears for "subsistence"????

Default why not?

they get everything else they ask ( demand) for.
    the kenail river gillnet thing is about as stupid as stupid gets.

why not give them permits for antelope in montana; since they will probably claim they walked down there one day also.

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    I thought that I read somewhere that there is a proposal for the up coming subsistence board meeting for each resident of Ninilchik be allowed 2 brown bears for "subsistence"????
    TFF! Are you serious? I hope, just hope, that the board laughed at that proposal.

yup he's serious, the NTC is trying to take over the kenai penninsula, what remains to be seen is if the FSB lets them.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

The way I read it (could be wrong) the community COLLECTIVELLY could take two brown bear, but they also want 3 black bear EACH.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    The way I read it (could be wrong) the community COLLECTIVELLY could take two brown bear, but they also want 3 black bear EACH.
    Hopefully the board told them to get a job.