Thread: Unit 20 Black Bear Status

Talking Unit 20 Black Bear Status

Anyone having any luck with Baiting in 20. I have had my baits out for a little over a week and will be checking them shortly. Hoping to keep this thread open for folks to post some updates and hear some good stories.

Default Unit 20B, YTA

Had some activity last week, judging from the way the site was trashed and hair on the barrel it was a griz. Saw some smaller tracks (sow and cub) close to stand as well. Going back out tonight to check on it.

Wonder if I should abandon stand because of griz, or stick it out and hope the blackies come in anyway.

Im not sure about how it is this year, but if I recall correctly, you must move your bait if you known brown bears are on it. I cant find that in the regs though. I also dont see in the regs that you may not shoot a brown bear that you know its movements are being affected by a bait station, and I know that is still a law (it was on the back of my registration card this year)

Anyway, I had blackies on my bait last year, and once brownie moved in they moved out.

I would suggest at least stop putting bait out for awhile and see if you can get him to move on.

All depends on the griz. I have had griz feeding on the same bait as blacks just at different times, but that was a well behaved griz. If you get a rowdy possesive one you wont see many blacks if any, or they'll come at really weid times like the middle of the day to avoid the griz at night. All depends. A buddy of mine had a griz sow with 2 little ins come in one year and she saw them move in the stand, barked her cubs to climb and they went up the 2 trees that supported my buddies stand. The video on that one is awesome , one of the cubs isn't 36" from my bud. You can see his little nose and whiskers going to town with eyes wide open. Mom got even madder at that point and barked em down and the 3 fled rapidly from the bait and he never saw them again. They killed a nice black an hour or so later after the griz were gone.

Default 20B Bait stand

I haven't been hit yet but I have hight hopes. If i'm lucky, maybe I'll get a bit of action this week.

Default Area 20E

I'm back home now! set the baits out yesterday...so we'll see...K

Haven't been able to check my bait in 20A. Went out this last weekend but an ice dam was blocking the river. The chena dropped a few vertical feet so I think the dam broke and I should be able to make it this coming weekend.

-Eric

Default 20B

I put my bait out last friday, came back on sunday to hang my stand and nothing had been touched. Went in on wednesday to help a buddy and check mine on the way by. "Something" had been in it. About 15 pounds of feed was gone. Couldn't find any readable tracks though. I went to put more bait on this past saturday and about 5 or so pounds was gone. I still have no idea what's hitting it since I don't have a game cam up, I can only hope its a black. I'm gonna hunt it this weekend (if I can wait that long).

Default you guys need to be patient.

As a new bear hunter in the past I moaned like crazy in early May about no hits on a bait only to really have bears arrive in mid June. BE PATIENT.

If some are spazzing about no action yet, its gonna be a long season. Especially if you are well into the interior.

Its been posted here several times about grizzlies being on a bait. New discovery: Black bears can climb, griz can't.
    Hunt the bait, the black bears will come.
    In my expereince, the griz will often roam miles between baits and the blacks will come in when they aren't there.

Be safe.

Frank

Default Its coming

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    As a new bear hunter in the past I moaned like crazy in early May about no hits on a bait only to really have bears arrive in mid June. BE PATIENT.

If some are spazzing about no action yet, its gonna be a long season. Especially if you are well into the interior.

If that aint the truth, its just been so unseasonably warm and with no snow anywhere to be found in the hills to speak of, its got everybody thinking its later in Spring than it is. It feels like the 3rd week in May outside not the 4th week in April. I am interested to see just how early the interior boys start killin bears this year. My bet is by the 2nd week in May the posts with pics will start, I am betting on us being 2 weeks ahead of schedule this year, we'll see.

Default a little early

While I am sure there are a few bears out, still a bit early. Earliest one I ever saw down here was April 29 one year. I usually see hits in the first week of May, but nothing serious until about the 15th. Everything after May 15 gets better and better each day. I've been doing this for 15 years and it is pretty consistent like people are saying. I am sure we are all anxious to get out and see bears! Good luck!

Been doing it a long time also and I'm not even putting my bait out till the 12th.Usually in full swing by the 24th.

Default Bears

I floated the upper Chena Sat-Sun,From the first Bridge to 28mile and found 1 set big Grizz track's and 2 diffrent set of pretty nice Blackie tracks on verious sand bars,That was only a about a day old if that...Very nice float,A lil low and still a lil Ice but it was great being out.

Default Update

I checked bait on Friday and we might have had a hit. Not sure. If it was it was definetly light. I am definetly looking forward to checking them again this week.

Good Luck

Fish and Game in Fairbanks has sealed some black bears taken over bait around Fairbanks. It's definetly earlier than normal

Default hit

I was hit by a small black bear south of the tannana as of last sat.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Default got hits

Haven't spent any time sitting, but have been hit and a buddy already shot one, so they are out. With all the rain, there is not doubt that most bears are probably awake south of Fairbanks.