Thread: Fishing Reel?

Default Fishing Reel?

I'm looking at picking up a new reel and have been looking at the ABu Garcia C3 spinning reel, and either a Mitchell 300 or 308. I was wondering if anybody else has bought these reel and have had anything go wrong with them or any problems with either. I'm buying it for a take down rod to keep behind the seat of my truck, will be fishing reds, and probably some rainbows, and even some pike.

Default Mitchell 300

I own a 300 and a buddy owns a 308 and both reels have been solid. I've caught plenty of silvers on them and even a small king. I'd recommend them to anyone. As far as the Abu Garcia I'm only familiar with the casting 6500C3 and it's smooth as silk so I would venture to say that the spinning reel is the same. Good luck and tight lines.

Default Shimano

I like the Shimano Sedona series. It is a smooth reel. For silvers and chums try the 4000 ,for trout try the 2500. They are not that expensive. 30 -50$

i would recommend the fleuger president... great reel for the money (~$55 at SWH) and it has 10 bearings that make it very smoothe.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Don't mean to highjack your thread catchfish but I also have a question about a good baitcaster under $100. I have always been a spinfisher but thought I would try something new this year. I prefer the lightest tackle possible and will use it primarily for kings. A good cheap rod would be nice as well.

It's actually alright because I was looking at a bait casting set up for fishing for small kings and silvers with it was a Quantum 8'6" coldwater pole I believe a M6, and I was told it was set up with a quantum reel because they came together when another guy bought it as a Combo originally from a dealer. Does anybody have anything to say about this setup good or bad. I would probably use on the Ninilchik river for kings and all over for silvers. I've also never used a baitcaster before whats the advantages to it I've always been interested in trying one out.

The biggest advantage to a baitcaster are longer, quieter, and smoother casts. Along with that you typically get a much better drag (smoother) and you have the ability to thumb the drag ever so slightly or as needed without changing your settings. Reeling is also accomplished with much smoother motion.

Be sure you get it set up correctly when you are starting out or you will quickly come to hate them. It's really not that difficult if you don't get in a hurry and start slinging. Kids seem to do real well with baitcasters since they don't try to launch the lure with huge strokes of the rod. My boys were fairly proficient by about age 6 or 7 and they would be glad to give anyone lessons or at least tell you fish tales