Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Four more years!!!!!

Talking Four more years!!!!!

.....Until my daughters first float hunt.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post

Lol good one!!!

Default Four more years!!!!!

Sweet!! Moose or?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Why does she have to wait 4 years?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

you wont be able to go, she's going to have stay at work to earn money to cover for the people who are staying home and watching TV waiting for the handouts.
    "f/64 and be there"

TWB, probably 'bou as it stands now.

Taiga, she's got a few hundred river miles under her belt at the ripe old age of 9. When I feel confident she can do anything required of such a trip, since there will just be the two of us, and that's the bar that ALL remote companions must rise to. Then she will go.
    So yeah, 13 sounds about right.

EMoss, sorry, can't reply to any political assertions. But thanks for trying to play.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

While your daughter waits, it's going to be a GREAT four years, so don't worry.....just take your time.

With what just happened it's going to take 4 years to save up all that "CHANGE" for the trip
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Not to sure what you're referring to Roger?
    I've spent a bit of time looking forward to this journey, and I'm quite happy that my kid will be able to grow up in such a unique land. I'm just pleased to be able to help her see everything she can accomplish as a young Woman in this great Country.
    In fact, there's a picture here on the table next to me of her on one of the first multi-day floats she went on with myself and a group of friends a few years back. She's seated next to a campfire alongside one of our best friends and her Wife, and the absolute joy on her face to be in such awesome surroundings with great people is something I cherish.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

actually 13 sounds about right mike, you know i have been hauling my kiddos out for years, since they were big enough to get out, and the personal work load put on dad, really diminishes after 12, when you can have a level of assistance, trust and understanding well above that of the younger ones.. combine that with their own level of confidence is probabaly 100 times that of a 9 year old. THAT said.. knowing you and the Hob... i am sure you could pull one off earlier then later, with proper planning.

but the entire dynamic of the hunt changed with us once they hit the teen years. and it is a ton more gratifying these days. And we can now plan the more difficult hunts... but then at the age they are now... School takes an entire new level of meaning also, and makes them harder to schedule.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Kind of how I'm thinking Vince. While I have little doubt she could handle it right now, I want her to be old enough to both remember the experience, and contribute as an equal. She's going along on at least one fly out next Summer, so she can begin to develop the skills and mindset required, while at the same time there will be other folks/guides in camp so she won't feel like everything rests on her shoulders.
    Every Spring she gets a little louder and more indignant over not being able to go afield. And while I'm glad she has the desire, I also recognize that at her current age it would only take one bad trip to potentially turn her off on the whole idea. Which is something I hope waiting a few years will cure.

You are going to go on a float hunt the first week of November? You might want to rethink your dates and plan it for August or September.

Not to sure what you're referring to Roger?
    Sorry not making fun of your daughters hunt, That was an attempt at an Obama joke without making it a political thread Guess I should stick with my day job
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    While your daughter waits, it's going to be a GREAT four years, so don't worry.....just take your time.
    You say that now....I give it two before you say to yourself 'man that was a mistake'
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    Thomas Jefferson

Hopefully for your sake you are planning on bowhunting in four years. Cause that's about all that will be left of our second amendment rights.

I'm trying to discuss a hunt with my daughter, if some of you are so discombobulated over joining the ranks of other minorities in this World, I cheerfully suggest counseling.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    actually 13 sounds about right mike, you know i have been hauling my kiddos out for years, since they were big enough to get out, and the personal work load put on dad, really diminishes after 12, when you can have a level of assistance, trust and understanding well above that of the younger ones.. combine that with their own level of confidence is probabaly 100 times that of a 9 year old. THAT said.. knowing you and the Hob... i am sure you could pull one off earlier then later, with proper planning.

but the entire dynamic of the hunt changed with us once they hit the teen years. and it is a ton more gratifying these days. And we can now plan the more difficult hunts... but then at the age they are now... School takes an entire new level of meaning also, and makes them harder to schedule.

I'm in the same "catch-22" as you are Vince with relative to school. Now that the boy is in high school, it seems that missing 4-5 days to do a hunting trip is much more of a show stopper (according to Mrs. Frosty) than it was 3-4 years ago. It appears that we are relegated to trying to pull off a trip before school starts (which is pretty darned tough - impossible depending on what critter we want to chase), or it's weekends only.

School will be probably the biggest hurdle when this trip happens. Fortunately The Hobbit goes to a private school with a small class size and an excellent line of communication between the teachers and parents. When the time comes, I'll notify the school beginning in the Spring preceding the hunt and following up closely when they return in the Fall.

Hippie,

I would say you have it pretty well figured out. My grandson took off a week every fall for elk hunting in Colorado and he missed the first week of May this year to come up here and shoot his Kodiak Bear without any problems. Plan ahead and follow up with school work and it will work out. He graduated this last May with Honors so it must not have impacted his studies too much. The time you spend with her now will be forever in your memory and is something that should not be passed up.

Randy

Default Good for you

For planning this trip. You will have a blast. I took my boy a few years ago when he was at the ripe age of 11 and it was a handful. This year he turned 14 and was a blast to go hunting with. I had a reduced amount of choirs and when we got in a bind he was able to come up with some pretty good ideas. Since he is 14 now.....4 more years!
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast