Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow Shoes?

Default Snow Shoes?

I'm looking at buying a set of snow shoes for this winter to get out and do some predator, ptarmigan, and rabbit hunting. The problem is, I don't know anything about what I should be looking for. What do you guys look for in a set of snow shoes, and does anybody have any recomendations?

Thanks
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I have a pair of Sherpa Snow Claws. http://www.examiner.com/article/sher...wshoe-industry

They used to be kinda popular with guides. That was some time ago so I would imagine there are some more hi-tech ones these days. But they still are a good shoe.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Most of us army guys use the msr shoes the army has they work. I'm sure there is better out there

Buy a pair designed to carry you and your desired gear across fairly loose snow. Snow shoes are rated by weight they carry.Some have ice claws for walking on packed of frozen snow and ice. You'll sink less and make better time in open ground by putting your gear in a sled and pulling it thereby sinking less in the snow. Snow shoes with tails work better cross country and in the open, rounded shoes work better in the timber. Use a set of ski poles to help with stability and to reduce fatigue. ENJOY
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Only one way tah do it, a big ole set of iversons. They are quiet as feather through the woods, aren't noisy plastic/metal junk, and float like no other. A set of the Sougdough XL's will take yah through the woods quite well, but they are quite big. I did a snow pack and predator study with them. In turnigan, no one else with the little fluffy plastic ones could stay afloat. (8 ft. of snow) You're welcome to check em out sometime if yahd like.

http://www.iversonssnowshoes.com/ind...d&productId=24

10" x 58" trail shoes. Not as good as bear paws in thicker country, but much better, and a whole lot easier, for longer treks.

I'm a fan of synthetic snowshoes. The composite decks shed overflow and ice with a little tap. The new snowshoe bindings are really nice, too, and get better every year. My newest pair of shoes are Atlas 1235s. Really light. Great bindings and suspension. The crampons are aggressive. More than I need for general walking but they sure are nice on wet ice when slogging in the overflow to get a snowmachine or airplane out of the soup. REI will have a good range of snowshoes to look for everything from jogging to trekking to mountain climbing. You may not choose to buy there but you'll see a variety of equipment that'll help you make your decision of what you want for your needs. Ditto the comment on ski poles. You'll have more fun with poles.

Not to divert your topic but I'd also look hard at backcountry XC skis. After wearing out three sets of snowshoes I switched to skis for exactly the uses you describe (bunnies, birds and predators) and find them a better application.

Snowshoes work for me in the woods or in bunches of thick brush where the length of a ski is a PITA, but in river bottoms and open country the skis are much easier and more efficient.

Just food for thought.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I'm looking at buying a set of snow shoes for this winter to get out and do some predator, ptarmigan, and rabbit hunting. The problem is, I don't know anything about what I should be looking for. What do you guys look for in a set of snow shoes, and does anybody have any recomendations?

Thanks
    There really is only one choice....MSR Lightning Ascent. They will work everywhere. From ice, to loose snow, to hard packed snow. For an all around snowshoe go with MSR.

and....the best thing about plastic/metal shoes when you're hunting:

Bang, clank, rattle, squeek. Indigneous people's had it right the first time........now all we have are granola shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    and....the best thing about plastic/metal shoes when you're hunting:

Bang, clank, rattle, squeek. Indigneous people's had it right the first time........now all we have are granola shoes.
    Haha I can see the noise thing for predators but for ptarmigan and rabbit they are not exactly the smartest animals.... The indigneous people did have it right for flat ground but if you are in the mountains hunting ptramigan or predators get something with a metal edge, it may save your life.

I made my own removable crampons as I don't like permanent ones. It's a piece of white ash with moose tines through-bolted on a stick of white ash. Old Mi'qmaq indian trick I learned from my grandmother when she used to make snow shoes. The bolts on the end also act as a traction stud. They are still very quiet. Four square shank u bolts with wing nuts remove my "stealth crampons". I hike up mountains with em.

As a kid started with bear-paws then went bigger and with age really need to go back to bear-paws for old man shuffle
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I've found that when you use snow shoes as much as I do for brush hunting (ptarmigan and rabbits) it's very important to have quailty shoes with very good bindings. It's also very important to buy them at a place that will take them back if they break. I know lots of people hate REI but it's the only place in town I know of that really stands behind their products. I've been using Atlas for for awhile and I'm impressed with them. The MSR type shoes work when the snow is set up but have no floation in soft snow.

Hmmm, I like the XC ski idea, so I may have to try out both. I think I can rent some on base and see if I like them or not. I'm not the most coordinated when it comes to skiing, so hopefully I can manage to stay standing for a minute or two and give it a shot.

Thanks for the advice on checking them out at REI, I'll head down there later next week. Does Barneys carry snow shoes?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Hmmm, I like the XC ski idea, so I may have to try out both. I think I can rent some on base and see if I like them or not. I'm not the most coordinated when it comes to skiing, so hopefully I can manage to stay standing for a minute or two and give it a shot.

Thanks for the advice on checking them out at REI, I'll head down there later next week. Does Barneys carry snow shoes?
    REI used to rent skis and I'm sure the MWR on post has them and probably snowshoes as well. You want to try BC skis- a bit wider, with metal edges which will work better off trail than narrow touring or track skis.

You'll have no issue with coordination...if I can do it, anyone can. Literally, as easy as walking.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Thanks
    Look into a pair of these: http://www.snowshoesalesandrepairs.com/?action=products
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I was IN REI last week, and nearly grabbed a pair made by MSR... made for running up the mountian .. built in crampons and have extensions.. they have quite a selection.. only reason i didnt was they could not tell me which ones fit over my bunny boots that were not with me...

take your boots to fit them.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

i agree with many of the posts here, having used webs in rough country for years. for light weight, ice work or as emergency snow shoes aluminum with solid deck and neoprene straps are hard to beat. in deep snow even in the brush, i prefer traditional webs for improved flotation. bear paws are dandy ( and i have several pair ) but alaskan trail shoes can navagate just fine even in hilly terrain. with some practice they are my shoes of choice, and will out float, out walk most anything else. just my .02.
    happy trails.
    jh

And full grain way outlast the split rawhide and well worth the xtra few bucks.JMOFO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast