Thread: Kodiak beach fishing for coho

Smile Kodiak beach fishing for coho

I'll be in Kodiak September 4-11. We'll be fishing in the salt from a boat on Sept. 5, 6, 7. I'd like to get some ideas as to how to fish from Chiniak Bay shoreline for cohoes. Best stream mouths to fish? How far and in which direction down the beach is the best fishing? What stage of the tide is it best fishing from the beach? What are the best lures to use? Thanks!

places they stock em are good, Like mill bay beach

Here's last august (scored mad points with my gfs mom by bringing her salmon!)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Silvers

AK Powder Monkey - nice fish. Could you help out with what flies or lures work well from the beach. Are there any stocked terminal fisheries on the beaches in Kodiak?
    Thanks for any suggestions

Yep there are several stocked areas on kodiak (that fish is a stocker!), mostly around the city, mill bay beach, and I think Pillar Beach have em, ADF&G should be able to help you out. I caught that one on pink sof plastic and a jig, I love fishing jigs they work great. For flies, flash flies and clousers will slay in the salt, as well as the estuaries, in streams its hard to go wrong with egg sucking leaches. Talk to the people at Mac's Sportshop across from McDonalds, thye will help you out, good people.

Smile

Nice coho! Do a lot of coho stack up in Mill Bay in early September? Do you ever fish the mouth of the Buskin or Olds?

I've only fished in mid august and saw only a few coho, but the dollie fishing was phenominal. Great fishing all over the island.

Any river mouth will be productivel. Don't just limit yourself to the stocked beaches. The hardest part about sept. silver fishing is not finding fish but rather what river to fish. So many rivers, so little time.
    Dave