Thread: How to Find PWS Clams

Default How to Find PWS Clams

I'm truly grateful for all AOD member's who've helped me as a new [2 seasons now] saltwater boat owner.

We've capitalized on very thorough information and guidance enabling us to become successful shrimpers and crabbers.
    We made great progress on halibut this past season too and while we still haven't cracked the code to consistently haul them in, we should have enough to get us through.

Now to the heart of my quest for guidance.

We've tried to find ""steamer" type clams [Littleneck & Butter] in numerous areas and tides to minus 3.2 but have failed miserably.
    Almost all areas had what I think is eel grass below tide level.
    I used a rake and dug in at least a half dozen areas and couldn't produce a single clam.
    We found lots of mussels and took the time to harvest a bunch of the larger ones.
    Mussels.jpg
    They were great but I still would like to figure out where I can get some fresh clams in PWS ~ even if it's not very many...

I know there are clams out there because everywhere we go we see discarded shells in the water ~ especially Butter Clam.

Finding some clams doesn't mean I won't be eating Royal Wave's oysters.

I'm with ya....they are there but I haven't had any luck either.
    There is one memeber that knows where they are but he's guarding the spot.
    BK
    Those mussels look great!

MMMMMMMMM Mussels! I don't have a boat to go out so I am very envious!

They were better than I thought they'd be.
    Pulled the boat on shore on a receeding [negative] tide to let the dogs potty ~ 10 minutes later we were dry...
    PWS w Girls June 12 004.jpg
    Plenty of time to kill until the tide came back in.
    Lezsson learned!

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I'm with ya....they are there but I haven't had any luck either.
    There is one memeber that knows where they are but he's guarding the spot.
    BK
    Those mussels look great!

The mussels are great the larger one's will be the best not the small ones. nothing wrong with small ones just small , clams will be in the coves in the mud / sand I am not sure about eel grass the roots are dense , could be wrong

Sid,

If you look behind our boat [pictured below] you will see what I'm referring too.
    There's kelp [that's where the mussels were] then a small strip of mud and right down by the water line is the eel grass.
    It's like this in the majority of the spots we tried.

Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    The mussels are great the larger one's will be the best not the small ones. nothing wrong with small ones just small , clams will be in the coves in the mud / sand I am not sure about eel grass the roots are dense , could be wrong

Does anyone have any real concerns about PSP?

I went on line last year and found some information. Also spoke with biologist and while thete ha e been no reported cases in PWS it has surfaced in surrounding areas. I brought the mussels home to cook & eat. If you developed symptoms on the water out of port you'd likely not have time to get back to medical attention for treatment in time. The biologist said its like playing Russian roulette...several folks have died in re ent years ~ most recently a woman from Haines.
    I'm away from my laptop but when I get time I can send you so.e docs if you like. You might search this forum as well ~ I posted some info last season.
    Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Does anyone have any real concerns about PSP?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    I went on line last year and found some information. Also spoke with biologist and while thete ha e been no reported cases in PWS it has surfaced in surrounding areas. I brought the mussels home to cook & eat. If you developed symptoms on the water out of port you'd likely not have time to get back to medical attention for treatment in time. The biologist said its like playing Russian roulette...several folks have died in re ent years ~ most recently a woman from Haines.
    I'm away from my laptop but when I get time I can send you so.e docs if you like. You might search this forum as well ~ I posted some info last season.
    Check this...http://www.dec.alaska.gov/eh/RecShell/index.html

Seems to be a good place to start, there are some good contact numbers there also.

Yep, that's the best link for our area and the POC is who I was dealing with. He also said they were going out for research volunteers for 3 areas last year. They wanted people to submit samples from SE, Cook Inlet and somewhere else but I dint think it was PWS.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Check this...http://www.dec.alaska.gov/eh/RecShell/index.html
    Seems to be a good place to start, there are some good contact numbers there also.