Thread: what to do with a Jap 6.5

Default what to do with a Jap 6.5

got my dad's Jap 6.5 that he got when he was over in Japan at the end of WW11, he used it for years deer hunting rifle is still stock, have the paperwork that he got with it to bring it back, along with the bayonet and a samurai sword, the mum is ground off, so has lost some of the value. Thinking it might be fun to sporterize to use as a caribou rifle, that way it would get some use instead of sitting in the safe and shooting it every now and the. Looking at shorten the barrel, redoing the bolt on it so I can mount a scope and getting a new stock for it. Anybody done anything like that, seen a few on the internet that looked pretty good

leave it the way it is. Chopping it up won't make it better. If you want a sporter, go buy a sporter.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

As a teenager, I used my grandpa's 6.5 Jap just the way it was for deer in Michigan. Cool rifle, heavy as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    leave it the way it is. Chopping it up won't make it better. If you want a sporter, go buy a sporter.

For less money you can buy a better sporter than you can cobble together with the 6.5 Jap. Enjoy it as it is, but I wouldn't sporterize it.....
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

6.5s are getting valuable, with the paperwork and unaltered other than the mum you have at least a $600 rifle there . . . hack the barrel off and you have a $150 parts gun with no mum. If you donít love it for the piece of history it is sell it to one of the many collectors that do and buy you a Howa (Japanese too) or something to hunt with.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Would be cool to see a Pic of that rifle

and I agree, don't hack it up, there are too few history pieces like that around
    and the fact that it is your Dad's history,....!!
    man, buy another sporter, take care of that one, as is
    hang it on the wall, get stories going about your Dad everytime somebody sees it

Heck, if I had any extra $$, I'd make an offer,....( I suppose you've heard that before tho)
    everytime I see one of those it's been hacked up,...seem kinda worthless that way in my opinion anyway

Post a pic tho, I'd love to see it, with bayonet and all,...hmmm, interesting
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

it was something important enough to bring home from WW2. My wife's relatives fought in the revolutionary war,saved a cutlass and a rifle. The person who brought that back with them served with General washington.
    Some items that we have in our possession are a reminder as to what we are and stand for.
    Do you truly wish to trade all for that which can never ever be replaced?
    NO DISHONOR,EVER.

Well here are a couple my Dad sent back, 7.7 (top) picked up on Peleliu, 6.5 bottom picked up on Okinawa, both have the mum . . . he sent a lot of them back. He never said where the bayonet came from, Iíd guess he got it Stateside postwar or he would have told me. I shot the heck out of that 7.7 as a young man, I taped it and turned a 2nd bolt back in the 60s but other than the holes and a bolt notch in the stock itís as it was. I still shoot both 4th of July, I form my brass but I saw Norma had it back listed for both. And a shot of Dad on Okinawa April 1945.
    IMG_0078a.jpgPFC Clyde W Fields 4_29_1945.jpg
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Well here are a couple my Dad sent back, 7.7 (top) picked up on Peleliu, 6.5 bottom picked up on Okinawa, both have the mum . . . he sent a lot of them back. He never said where the bayonet came from, Iíd guess he got it Stateside postwar or he would have told me. I shot the heck out of that 7.7 as a young man, I taped it and turned a 2nd bolt back in the 60s but other than the holes and a bolt notch in the stock itís as it was. I still shoot both 4th of July, I form my brass but I saw Norma had it back listed for both. And a shot of Dad on Okinawa April 1945.
    IMG_0078a.jpgPFC Clyde W Fields 4_29_1945.jpg
    It would have been really cool if dad had brought the BAR he's holding back instead of the 7.7 Jap.

But you are right, SummitX should keep the rifle in as near original condition as possible; Jap rifles are becoming a desired item. There were a lot of manufacturers and versions of the 6.5 Jap, some (type I) were even made by Berreta in Italy for the Jap Navy. The mum being ground off just means it was a field surrendered gun, Japanese soldiers destroyed the emperors seal (mum) before surrender; but having the bring back papers significantly increases the rifles value. There were several models/manufacturers of Jap bayonets/scabbards as well, many are very sought after and expensive. Swords came in 2 varieties NCO and Officers swords. NCO swords were issued by the army and were pretty standardized units many saw much use depending on the number of theaters or campaigns they were used in.Officers swords were either Army issue and were more elaborate than NCO swords and saw very little use usually, OR they were the officers families sword that they had brought from home to bring honor to their family name; these swords from promenant families were from basic to very elaborate. Usually the Officers swords had the family seal broken off the top of the tang (inside the grip) before surrender.

The past 20 years have seen the sporter parts for the Jap guns fazed out they used to make Timney triggers and other parts for the surplus rifles to be used for sporters. But today nearly every manufacturer makes an economy rifle rifle that will outperform a modified jap in every aspect. Save your bucks and dad's piece of history; purchase a 260 Remington or a 7-08 ammo is much cheaper and more available than 6.5 Jap.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Thanks will post pics of rifle, bayonet, and sword when I get back, will keep it stock and do some plinking with it every now and then,

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    It would have been really cool if dad had brought the BAR he's holding back instead of the 7.7 Jap.
    Well he was mailing stuff back and wasnít quite done with the BAR yet.

Last he saw the BAR he was shot to bits 100 yards in front of our lines, he had one working leg and one working arm. The BAR and everything else was left behind for the crawl back to friendlys.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Well he was mailing stuff back and wasnít quite done with the BAR yet.

Last he saw the BAR he was shot to bits 100 yards in front of our lines, he had one working leg and one working arm. The BAR and everything else was left behind for the crawl back to friendlys.
    It's a shame these guys are dissappearing, there's so much history and heritage there going to waste. Mine are gone as well .
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Way too much heritage and family history in that rifle to go hacking on it, no matter how good a job. If you want to sporterize one, pick up one and do that, but leave your dad's as-is in honor of his service.

Not saying sporterizing is a bad idea. My own venture is with the 30-40 Krag. I have both an original and a sporter, and guess which one gets all the field time. The original is a looker and the sporter is a shooter.

As others have said, the brass and cartridges are becoming available again and values of Japan military items are increasing. Thus it is desirable to maintain in original condition. Also, while for decades the Arisaka was vastly underrated, the recent articles I've seen praise it as a quite a good battle rifle. That is of course typical of products from enemy nations, whether Japanese, German, Russian, East European, etc. -- actually in objective terms they sometimes may be superior.

That is not even considering the personal and collector value of items taken on or immediately after battlefield conditions.

I have a bunch of old military swords from Japan that had no particular value when I picked them up in the 1980s, but while they are not rarities, the values are getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Way too much heritage and family history in that rifle to go hacking on it, no matter how good a job. If you want to sporterize one, pick up one and do that, but leave your dad's as-is in honor of his service.

Not saying sporterizing is a bad idea. My own venture is with the 30-40 Krag. I have both an original and a sporter, and guess which one gets all the field time. The original is a looker and the sporter is a shooter.

Default what to do with a Jap 6.5

Leave the 6.5 alone. Buy a $100 mosin nagant and sport it. Cheaper to do all the way around. See my old post on mosin project gun.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble