Thread: Single shots reloading

Default Single shots reloading

Hey all tell me how you personally (speed reload or try to speed reload) your single shot rifle.

I personally shoot a ruger #1 and I have an elastic shell holder on the buttstock and I can shoot and re-feed shells very quickly I think, around 2 seconds.

I also try to tip the gun down slightly when I reload so the shell can just fall in place, and I donít have to push the cartridge all the way in with my finger.

It isn't hard to reload the No. 1 quickly. I just carry an extra round or two in my left hand when the need for a quick load may be there. Sort of a Pete Capstick reload only in a single in stead of a double. The problem with the No.1 is that the ejector kicks out the empty and the rim of the case hits the safety button and stops right on top in the way.

I haven't developed the knack for tiping the rifle as I open the lever to allow the empty to hit the ground. I've tried adjusting the spring tension of the ejectoer from all the way up to way down to very llight and I still need to tip it. I usually shoot the long rimmed calibers in the No. 1 and they are worse.
    I think I prefer the Sharps '74 anyway.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie1 View Post
    Hey all tell me how you personally (speed reload or try to speed reload) your single shot rifle.

I personally shoot a ruger #1 and I have an elastic shell holder on the buttstock and I can shoot and re-feed shells very quickly I think, around 2 seconds.

I also try to tip the gun down slightly when I reload so the shell can just fall in place, and I donít have to push the cartridge all the way in with my finger.
    Bernie1, do you keep the elastice shell holder on your buttstock full or do you leave a space or two to make it easier to retrieve a bullet?
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    It isn't hard to reload the No. 1 quickly. I just carry an extra round or two in my left hand when the need for a quick load may be there. Sort of a Pete Capstick reload only in a single in stead of a double. The problem with the No.1 is that the ejector kicks out the empty and the rim of the case hits the safety button and stops right on top in the way.

I haven't developed the knack for tiping the rifle as I open the lever to allow the empty to hit the ground. I've tried adjusting the spring tension of the ejectoer from all the way up to way down to very llight and I still need to tip it. I usually shoot the long rimmed calibers in the No. 1 and they are worse.
    I think I prefer the Sharps '74 anyway.
    Murphy, my Ruger #1 in 300WBY has not provided me with any of the difficulty you have mentioned in your post. Do you think it is my cartridge or what? Infact I have no difficulty as you have discribed. Infact the only difficulty I have with my Ruger #1 in 300WBY that if I shoot a bullet weight over 200grs the recoil is stiff and I think it is the angle of the stock design.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Every other slot this way it holds 5 to 6 rounds. If I canít get it donít with that many rounds I donít deserve to be hunting.

Murphy, I too have experienced the safety problem. The easiest fix I know is to remove the safety and grind the foreward tip down so it no longer hits the case. It has worked well for me on three No!'s. Jim

When attempting a rapid shoot with my 1874 Shiloh Sharps, I put a couple spare rounds between the fingers of my left hand as it grips the fore-end stock. Bullets towards the palm. With a 45-110 or a 50-90 there is lots of brass to grab.
    Although I not sure it is really all that much faster than taking them out of my cartridge belt. It probabaly is while prone.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Wink Fast Shootin

TC firearms makes some kind of cartridge holder, it goes on you wrist like a watch, my cousin uses one for his 35 remington Contender that might help. I think it holds two rounds.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

I have seen an old 45-70 trap-door with a wood block screwed to the side. tghe block had 4 or 5 holes drilled in the top to hold extra cartridges. I'll bet that was a big pain.

Sticking anything on a pretty sharps would be a sin... here is that extra 50-90. Not a good pic but one of the opnly ones with the whole rifle in the photo. That 34 inch barrel makes it hard to photograph.
    Last edited by Float Pilot; 08-04-2007 at 15:40.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I shoot a NEF in 270 and can rack em through pretty well just by keeping a few shells in my right jacket pocket (I'm a lefty) with the tips pointed in so when I shoot, my thumb hits the release, the barrel falls, meanwhile my hand swipes into my pocket grabbing a shell and bringing it up to my face dropping it in the breech, reaching for the forearm and slapping it shut with the scope now right back in front of my eye. Fast as a lever, pump, or an astute bolt shooter...no, but not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I have seen an old 45-70 trap-door with a wood block screwed to the side. tghe block had 4 or 5 holes drilled in the top to hold extra cartridges. I'll bet that was a big pain.

Sticking anything on a pretty sharps would be a sin... here is that extra 50-90. Not a good pic but one of the opnly ones with the whole rifle in the photo. That 34 inch barrel makes it hard to photograph.

now when that hits something it goes down!!!!
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Talking wrist band

I use a wrist band that holds two shells, three if you slip one under the band. I rebuilt mine, using wider elastic for a more secure grip, so I can leave more shell sticking out for firmer grabbing. I lost shells with the original...not strong or firm enough to secure shell while hunting. I position it where it's handy to quickly grab a shell, and I practice with snap-cap dummy rounds, so I can dry fire, eject, load up to three times in a row..very fast. Thanks, ciao.

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    I use a wrist band that holds two shells, three if you slip one under the band. I rebuilt mine, using wider elastic for a more secure grip, so I can leave more shell sticking out for firmer grabbing. I lost shells with the original...not strong or firm enough to secure shell while hunting. I position it where it's handy to quickly grab a shell, and I practice with snap-cap dummy rounds, so I can dry fire, eject, load up to three times in a row..very fast. Thanks, ciao.
    I like the snap-cap dummy round idea for making the practice complete without firing rounds. good idea
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS