Thread: Is this a good deal???

Default Is this a good deal???

On craigslist, there is a 21' Thunderjet Alexis, excellent shape, 350 with Kodiak jet, covers, fishfinders, downriggers, air chairs, etc. for 28,000. I talked with the gentleman and he said it is a bulletproof rig. It is a 1992, which seems pretty old to me, but may not be that old in boat years. It has been very well kept and maintained. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Quote Originally Posted by bmcguire4 View Post
    On craigslist, there is a 21' Thunderjet Alexis, excellent shape, 350 with Kodiak jet, covers, fishfinders, downriggers, air chairs, etc. for 28,000. I talked with the gentleman and he said it is a bulletproof rig. It is a 1992, which seems pretty old to me, but may not be that old in boat years. It has been very well kept and maintained. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!
    Certaintly not worth the asking price in my opinion, afterall the rig is 20 years old. But my opinion really does not matter as it is your money. Have the seller get the boat appraised and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Certaintly not worth the asking price in my opinion, afterall the rig is 20 years old. But my opinion really does not matter as it is your money. Have the seller get the boat appraised and go from there.
    I second what snowwolfe said how many hours on the motor
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

How much salt did he run? Does it have a closed (looped) coolant system?
    Where was most of his running done, was it a cabin transport, weekend warrior, PWS cruiser, freight hauler ?
    How does the trailer look....it"s got 20 years of Alaskan roads under it's belt.
    Also-A newer powerplant, fuel injected, will start easier, give better fuel economy, etc... than a 20 YO tired 350.
    I think he's way overpriced, but I'm not the one falling in love with it.
    BK

If you are looking to finance it - AK USA won't finance anything older than a 2006 (with the regular down payment amount anyway) and they require an appraisal....

if you are paying cash money pls disregard........

28K seams a little steap, all depends on how it was used and maintained. Ive seen boats 3 or 4 years old that look like battle wagons on the water, and 25 year old boats that look almost show room. Spend some extra $$ or see if the seller is willing to have shop do a once over on her. Hopefully they have a maintance log, i keep one. Do they have reciepts for work done, or electronics purchased?

With the price of "new" boats running close to insane, near 50K to replace mine, might not be a bad deal.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

This thing isn't a supercub, it's not increaseing in value as it gets older.
    The boat probably was not even $28k new back then.
    Technology changes, electronics are better, motors are better, and so on. This sounds like he is trying to get his $ out of a 20 YO boat that isn't worth 1/2 of what he's asking, I don't care how nice it looks.
    BK

I would get an assesment or apprasel and go from there. I have a 2005 Tjet, same everything exept I have the Hamilton 212 and I am thinking about selling it in the spring for about $32K. Not trying to sell you my boat but give you a comparison. I have the fuel injection that makes it a hell of a lot more effiecent and easier to start. 10 hours on rebuilt stainless impellars and flow scan. I run it in rivers and salt but not more than the other. I had a buddy sell his 22' alexis classic for $26k and it was a 2002. PM me if you want to know anything about Thunderjet boats. Once again, not trying to sell you mine...unless you want it!
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

if you are looking at a boat in that price range, i would look at a newer and more current boat.

As everyone else has eluded to, it's a pretty old boat. Boats don't grow old gracefully. They are money pits from day one and I'd sure be hesitant about buying a boat that old that hasn't had major work done to it. And I'm saying that as a person who just can't imagine not having a boat. Alaskabliss presents a great comparison, you can get a much newer boat for nearly the same price. I'd say the guy is asking too much given the amount of maintenance and money you'll be putting into it to fix the things that are past their prime.

I would keep my options open (like others have already stated). I bought a 1995 21' Hewescraft riverrunner which is very similar to what you are looking at, maybe not with all the finishing touches but 3 years ago I paid $12.5K. Its got the Kodiak 350, berkley jet, fishfinder, life jackets and it was in pretty good shape. I have since changed the coolant to closed loop and replaced the top, but if I had to sell it, it would go for around what I bought it for, maybe a touch higher. I would keep looking if I were you.

Oh, and what was the hour meter at? It makes a lot of difference.

Ron

I would like to thank everyone for their input, very very helpful. Now on craigslist, there is 1981 21' Grayling inboard 350, good shape, new top, seats, a lot of updates. These boats are supposed to be very heavy duty. The asking price is 11,000, is a boat that old worth that kind of money??

Quote Originally Posted by bmcguire4 View Post
    I would like to thank everyone for their input, very very helpful. Now on craigslist, there is 1981 21' Grayling inboard 350, good shape, new top, seats, a lot of updates. These boats are supposed to be very heavy duty. The asking price is 11,000, is a boat that old worth that kind of money??
    Depends on hours and what your looking for. Old boat like that could have some ghoasts in it's closet or it could be a trailer queen. Most trailer queens need fixin to though. Whats your skill level on wrenching on a boat and what are you willing to spend on getting a boat up to snuff.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

If it has a new top and new seats that alone is worth $2500 to $3500. The boat was built in Chugiak by Jeff Johnson . The Johnsons owned Grayling Boat Works . It is a very well built boat