Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenai moose wintering

Default Kenai moose wintering

Do the moose on the kenai have specifiic wintering grounds where they herd up or are they pretty much spread out? I have been told spots in homer and some in large numbers out near the end of greycliffs. Can anyone shed some light
    Thanks

My observations are when the snow gets really deep they seem to congregate along the highway system. The Kenai Spur Highway from about MP1 to MP 20 has some of the highest numbers of moose/car collisions in the state depending on the snow depth.

Moose don't "herd up". They remain scattered all over the place. I've heard from many F&G bios that moose will generally stay within a couple mile radius of where they shack up after they break out on their own. There is movement during the rut and some movement to find food. From late August through September there is a massive underground poker game at a hidden lair (bulls only). But then as the snow gets deeper in late winter, they will make use of the path of least resistance (trails and roads) to move about in search of food. This is part of the reason why so many die on the roads (the other part being people driving too fast and not paying attention), as it is much easier to walk on a road than it is through 2 feet of wet snow.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Black ice does in some too...you see them but can't stop. I hit a cow once with rear of my truck after spinning around several times...think I was doing 30 at the time.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Moose don't "herd up".
    I disagree. Whether it be an out of the ordinary thing or not, I've seen upwards to 50head together.

Twice up in NW Ak and once up in Hatchers Pass. Counted over 38 head in Hatchers Pass in 1 small valley, mid February.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I have also seen them herd up this time of year off the river system. They seem to congregate to certian areas in large #'s.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    I disagree. Whether it be an out of the ordinary thing or not, I've seen upwards to 50head together.

Twice up in NW Ak and once up in Hatchers Pass. Counted over 38 head in Hatchers Pass in 1 small valley, mid February.
    My observation also. In the straight stretch at the end of Turnagain Arm, my wife and I once counted a group of 44 moose of various sizes and both genders. They were hangin' out. I've never seen anything like that since.

My brother and I counted over 40 cows and bulls, herded together in the Palmer Hay Flats in the late 90s, 2 years in a row. I haven't seen it anywhere since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Subsailor618 View Post
    My brother and I counted over 40 cows and bulls, herded together in the Palmer Hay Flats in the late 90s, 2 years in a row. I haven't seen it anywhere since then.
    I've seen moose herded up on the Hay Flats also, more than 100 of them. Thought at first someones cattle had escaped.
    "Grin and Bear It"

A friend of mine that lives on one of the peninsula rivers, has about 15 to 20 moose in his front yard each winter when the snow gets deep. His front yard is about 1/2 mile wide and 2 miles long, he lives about 300 feet above the valley floor. Makes for some great pictures.

A biologist definition of “herd” does not fit when we see several moose together. That why biologist say several moose at one area in not a herd of moose. I think it because moose are considered a solitude animal.

For years when I saw several moose in small and large groups in the winter, my thinking at the time was they were protecting them selves from wolves. When I mention this to a biologist, he said moose do not herd up they are where because of the food.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    My observation also. In the straight stretch at the end of Turnagain Arm, my wife and I once counted a group of 44 moose of various sizes and both genders. They were hangin' out. I've never seen anything like that since.
    I've seen this same herd in the same stretch every year from Jan-February. I think it may be a late rut. We saw 14 cows and three bulls last February 28th and all three bulls still had their racks! One of the bulls was well over fifty.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I think a herd of moose is much like a herd of bears
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    I've seen this same herd in the same stretch every year from Jan-February. I think it may be a late rut. We saw 14 cows and three bulls last February 28th and all three bulls still had their racks! One of the bulls was well over fifty.
    Hmmmm.... new longer season? ;-)

I think both the moose left here in unit seven live in the city limits of Seward in the winter months.

Up in Delta Jct. just two days ago, saw a "Field Full of Moose,"..Literally "Ganged Up,"
    and maybe over 100 animals out there,....

Could hardly believe they were Moose til we got close enough to confirm, All Moose, Not Bison,.....and hanging closely
    in groups of twenty to thirty, nearly rubbing shoulders,...and all 100 or so within a 1/4 mile of each other

Never would have thought of a Herd of Moose til I witnessed this gathering,....maybe a Barley field thing or something similar
    but they definitely do herd up, now and then

Darn, I KNEW I shoulda got a picture of that,..was Bizarre....looked like a Gang of Cattle, but with long noses
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Be very afraid. Moose are changing behavior. They're forming gangs and they aren't happy!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Be very afraid. Moose are changing behavior. They're forming gangs and they aren't happy!
    I wonder,............if it's an Obama thing,.....Or,...maybe it's the Mormons
    those folks are so darn organized, dialed in,....

Maybe the Moose are the "afeared ones."

(heh, heh,..."Happy Voting Day Everyone")
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    A biologist definition of “herd” does not fit when we see several moose together. That why biologist say several moose at one area in not a herd of moose. I think it because moose are considered a solitude animal.

For years when I saw several moose in small and large groups in the winter, my thinking at the time was they were protecting them selves from wolves. When I mention this to a biologist, he said moose do not herd up they are where because of the food.
    This too is what I've always believed......that after the rut and weakened, bulls will gather together with the idea that in greater numbers they can better fend off wolves....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    This too is what I've always believed......that after the rut and weakened, bulls will gather together with the idea that in greater numbers they can better fend off wolves....
    Even in mid February?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast