Thread: Breaking in a new pair of boots

Default Breaking in a new pair of boots

Greetings from Downunder

Does anyone have some tips on breaking in a new pair of hunting boots (miendl)

There is the method of putting them on, standing in water until they are soaked and then "walking them dry". I've never done it that way. I just wear them, wear them everywhere. I got some funny looks and comments the last time I was breaking in a new pair of mountaineering boots. Wearing them in the grocery store, in offices to see my clients, etc. but, the general rule of themb is that boots aren't really broke in until you get about 50 miles on them. Get a few miles on them before you start hauling a heavy pack in the mountains, that's for sure!

Yeah, I have heard of the standing in water thing but have always been a bit dubious. I guess it is just walk, walk, walk

Default Meindls

I got a pair of Meindl hikers from Cabelas and they fit like a glove. I love them. No chafing anywhere and they just don't seem to need breaking in for my feet...

Well, I would definitely walk a considerable distance for several days before I go on a serious hike with new shoes.

Default Every thing changes once you put a pack on your back

All boots need to be broke in . It doesnt matter how they feel now its how your feet will feel after 10 mile days up and down mountains walking on rocks with a 40 pound pack. Best thing is to buy your boots well in advance of upcoming trip and wear them all the time. Take long walks, short walks,wet walks,and walks with a load on your back. Better to get the blisters now rather than 20 miles in the bush, with a 20 mile hike out. There is no easy way to do it just wear them often. I got a new pair of vasque boots in april , i wear them every day and i go on 5 mile hikes daily all this for preparation for a brooks range trip in august.
    bushwaker