Thread: Winchester Model 70 information

Default Winchester Model 70 information

Greetings. I have spent the last few hours searching the Internet for an approximate date of manufacture for my rifle. The barrel is stamped" Winchester Model 70 270 win. Made in new haven, CT USA. Classic Stainless" with a serial # of G314***. I have found a wealth of information on the Internet but I can't find any info pertaining to the day of the model 70 with serial numbers G31****. If any of you have info on the date or can point me to the right post or page or book, I would greatly appreciate it.

G3XXXX series guns were the very tail end of the New Haven production; circa 2004-2005. I have a couple too.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Thank you for the quick reply. I have looked at that list. They list serial numbers with a "G" prefix starting at 9*****.and then proceed on to 7 digit numbers. My serial number has G314***. 6 digits total. That list also stops in the early 90's. I am positive my rifle is newer than that. I have also found that the plant in CT stopped producing the model 70 in or around 2006. So I have narrowed my age range to between 92 and 2006. I was Hoping to get a little closer than that.

Iofthetaiga thank you for the information. If I may ask, is that info listed somewhere or is that from personal experience? I don't doubt you, I just like to find sources for information.

Quote Originally Posted by SamWiseGamgee View Post
    Thank you for the quick reply. I have looked at that list. They list serial numbers with a "G" prefix starting at 9*****.and then proceed on to 7 digit numbers. My serial number has G314***. 6 digits total. That list also stops in the early 90's. I am positive my rifle is newer than that. I have also found that the plant in CT stopped producing the model 70 in or around 2006. So I have narrowed my age range to between 92 and 2006. I was Hoping to get a little closer than that.
    Yeah, I was a little too quick, as I forgot that list I linked to stopped at '92, as you noted (so I removed it on edit). I have a couple 2 or 3 with the same serial range. They were the last of the New Haven guns. I don't believe they got to G4 series serial numbers (I could be wrong). I believe the G3's would have been just prior to the plant shutting down winter '05/'06.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Thank you Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by SamWiseGamgee View Post
    Iofthetaiga thank you for the information. If I may ask, is that info listed somewhere or is that from personal experience? I don't doubt you, I just like to find sources for information.
    Personal experience, based on new purchases... I don't know of any other published data beyond the page I initially linked to. A phone call or email to Winchester should provide a definitive answer, if you want to nail it down to the month for some reason.
    #Resist