Thread: 44 Magnum and H4227

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default 44 Magnum and H4227

I want to use H 4227 for loading 240 grain Hard Cast SWCs in my new 44 Mag, with a 6 inch barrel.

The data in Hogdon's Annual for cast bullets seem to be Cowboy loads, and I want a light to medium full power load.

I have a Lil Chrony, and I'm looking for 1000 to 1200 fps, but don't know where to start.

Anyone using H 4227 ?? How much of it would you suggest ??

Thanks for any help.
    Smitty of the North

Smitty,

H4227 is a very good powder for the 44 mag. It can be used with bullets weights from 240 to 300 grains and from moderate to max loads. With the 240 grain cast, 19 grains of it will give about 1000 fps and 21 grains will be about 1200 fps. A max load for that bullet would be about 23.0 grains.

This powder is clean and consistant a gives good velocity. At the lighter end of it (18.0 grains) with 240 grain bullets it may not all burn and you will see some yellowish unburned kernels of powder. Don't worry about that. When you reach about 30,000 psi it all burns. That should be about 1100 fps.

Your velocity will vary depending on the gun, etc. but this is a good guesstimate.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thumbs up 2400

I use 2400 @ 22.0 with CCI 300 primers with Norma 240 FP and Norma Cases in my 44 Mag.......same load does good with a 250 Sierra FPJ.
    Alaska

Default Wow, That didn't take long.

Thanks Murphy:
    That's exactly what I needed to know.
    I'll work with those charges.
    200 cases are "On the Water".

You too Jeff:
    I know that 2400 is a good powder too, but I've been using H4227 for my 357 and don't wanna stock two powders.

Smitty of the North

Quote Originally Posted by alaska bush man View Post
    I use 2400 @ 22.0 with CCI 300 primers with Norma 240 FP and Norma Cases in my 44 Mag.......same load does good with a 250 Sierra FPJ.
    Yeah, you're right about the Norma bullet, good one. But I can't get them anymore and I haven't seen 2400 powder on the shelf a decade. Is that still around? I always liked the powder, expecially for cast bullets, it is a little dirty though. I haven't seen it in a while.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thumbs up 2400

2400 Still on the shelf at sportsman Ware.........use CCI 300 primers and that helped.

The old Keith load of 22.0 with the 250 Sierra FPJ excellent load.

I still have a ample supply of Norma 240 FP sometimes on ebay you can find them.
    Alaska

Murphy:

You called it pretty good.

Today I tested 19, 20, 21, and 22 grains, and got 1076, 1098, 1160. and 1242 fps respectively. Those are averages of only 5 shots each.

I was still getting a tiny bit of “yellowish unburned kernels” right up through 22 grains, but at this point, I think I’ll use 20 or 21 grains.

Apparently, you have considerable experience and knowledge in handloading the 44 Mag. Thanks for passing some of it my way.

Smitty of the North

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Murphy:

You called it pretty good.

Today I tested 19, 20, 21, and 22 grains, and got 1076, 1098, 1160. and 1242 fps respectively. Those are averages of only 5 shots each.

I was still getting a tiny bit of “yellowish unburned kernels” right up through 22 grains, but at this point, I think I’ll use 20 or 21 grains.

Apparently, you have considerable experience and knowledge in handloading the 44 Mag. Thanks for passing some of it my way.

Smitty of the North

Smitty,

Ok, I was a little off...just going from memory. But I've used a bunch of that powder, I like it a lot. We can load it all along the spectrum of loads from mid to max and get good results. Looks like you're getting good results also.
    Even with the unburned powder it is cleaner than 2400 (still a good powder for the 44) and the less predictable W296/H110.

I shoot five through the chronograph also or a cylinder full. That gives a good average and spread numbers. You can see as the pressure goes up the burn efficiency goes up also. From 19 to 20 grains you got 22 fps gain, from 20 to 21 grains you got 62 fps and from 21 to 22 grains you got 82 fps and I would guess the lowest velocity spread. You just pick the velocity you want, with this powder, and sight in and you're good to go. You are still below max at 22 grains. When those velocity gain numbers start back down with an increased charge, pressure is still going up but velocity is not going up as much. This is what is called the knee of the curve, the pressure vs velocity curve. That is the max load. This is true for handgun or rifle and makes the chronograph a very useful tool for finding good, bad and maximum loads.

Good luck with your load.

Default SW 500 magnum, any real world results

Do you guys know if the SW500 has proved itself for hunting bear, or as a self defense round for bear?

I am going to test fire one this weekend during a local SW demo days..

Any links to reviews would be great, and appreciated. Thanks.