Thread: Anybody Know Anything about Newhouse Traps

Default Anybody Know Anything about Newhouse Traps

Well, I bought myself a box of traps to start trapping again. I was looking mainly for #0 or #1 for martin, but found something else. A guy called me today following up on a garage sale inquiry I made 2 weeks ago. He said he had a box full, maybe a dozen, and he'd take $_____ for them. Nope, not gonna tell you. Huh Uh. So I said sure, I'll meet you.
    So we meet and I take a look at a jumbled mess of steel. I noticed several jump #4, a pair of DLS #4, Jump #2, a trio of mismatched #1, and two cast jaw traps. I paid the man, shook hands, and walked away.
    The one trap has a cast print pan, not stamped, that says something to the effect of S. Newhouse, Oneida Community, NY, 4 1/2 Wolf, Pat Sept 20 or 26, 1911. The second trap said the same thing, Pat Dec 16, 02, 2 1/2. Sounds like a fun box? It was to me.
    The jumps are Oneidas, the DLS are a B&L and Oneida, the #1 are a mix of Newhouse, B&L, Oneida (only one is usable right now).
    Ok, so I only got 10 traps, and out of that, maybe 7 usable. I'm thinking I did ok, how about you?
    From the description, can you tell how old those Newhouse are?
    ARR

Supporting Member

Contact "WISSMISS" on the Trapperman.com "Trap Shed" forum. She seems to be well versed in values on Newhouse traps. Without even seeing them, I would guess your two 4 1/2 Newhouse wolf traps are probably worth WAY more than you gave the guy for the whole box.

Only 1 ea 4 1/2, and 1 ea 2 1/2, but yes, regardless of any nuance, i.e. age, condition, etc. they are worth more than I paid for the box. They both look original, including chains from photos I've found. There seems to be a disparity in pricing, especially on the 4 1/2.
    Right now I just want to know for grins and giggles. I was not thinking about setting wolf gear out, but might now. And I've never trapped otter, but have a trap that would work wonders.
    What else would you use that 2 1/2 for?
    I also got a mess of old snares. The wire is pretty kinked. Does anybody ever re-use the hardware off of them?
    ARR

looks like you need a trapping partner Greg! I just finished boiling traps and my intial snare run tonight...laying some marten gear out tomorrow.

yes you can reuse the hardware on the snares as long as the locks aren't bent they can be reused along with double furls or tree locks. The 4 1/2 value depends on exactly what is on the pan for a date etc. The same is true with the 2 1/2 WISSMISS will be able to help you. SUre wish we had a lot of wolves in this area many years ago when I could have bought 4 1/2 Newhouses at the local store for $69.00
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

On that 2 1/2 w/ teeth. An old trapper told me he thought it was illegal to use traps w/ teeth on them. I've perused the regulations, but don't find any such reference. That does not mean it is not there, I just don't see it. Can anybody corroborate that traps w/ teeth can not be used, and if so, where the reference is in the handy dandy or other regulation books?
    Amongst those traps I bought is a Newhouse 1 1/2 that was bent to heck. Looks like somebody drove over it. A guy at work, a real life metallurgist/machinist/blacksmith type of guy, is going to straighten it out for me without leaving a bunch of vice and hammer marks. I hope to use it for fox. That will be cool to resurrect an old trap w/ history and put it back on the trail.
    ARR

As far as I know you can still use traps with teeth in Alaska but I don't really see why you would, I have some Victor #14 jumps with teeth but they just hang on the wall. The only thing I know about Newhouse's is that I can't afford one but if I had one I wouldn't use it, to many sticky fingers

Toothed traps are completely legal in Ak. I agree with Tchicken. Too likely to lose the traps to be worth the risk. You can buy better wolf traps and otter traps that are not antiques and worth good money.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I am not sure I'll use these old traps for real, but something nags at me that I should. The guy I bought them from said his wifes grandmother used them. He was in his 60's anyways, so just think how long ago that might have been. The thought of those old traps back on a trap line somehow seems right.
    As for sticky fingers, that'd about tick me off. It happens though. Guess I'll just have to weigh the pros and cons of it all.
    ARR