Thread: Raider Boats

Default Raider Boats

Any one heard much about Raider Boats? I am looking at a 28 foot Sea Raider in Anchorage....I am familliar with Hewes but not raider? Good Bad???? Thanks John

Here is a thread from earlier this summer when I was asking the same question: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...1-Raider-boats
    Im still up in the air between a Hewes Pacific Cruiser and the Raider line. I will be buying new when the time comes and I really like the fact that Raider is willing to work with me on layout. Im seriously thinking of their 30 footer though.

Been lots of talk about Raider on here, I own the 22', which looks like a scaled down version of the 28' you're looking at. For the size of the boat, the power and the fact that my Raider has treated me right, it looks like a good deal. Let us know if you grab it.

Golfnut is a great guy and owns a 28ft Raider. Hopefully he will post up soon with his experience or you should pm him. From my understanding its a good well built boat but marginally less nice compared to a hewes. Personally I dont know as Ive never been on one its just what Ive heard. My guess is at this level, they are all the same. My 26 Hewes PC is certainly no work of art but a utilitarian boat. I'd guess given the raider builder once worked for hewes....that they are the same.

I have a 2006 28' Raider. This last summer was my first year with the boat and overall I am satisfied. As Patrick said, I don't think the fit and finish matches some of the other boats out there but it suits us fine. Mine is very basic, but it works for us. Got into some rough weather over the summer and it handled it well. If you have any specific questions, shoot me a p.m. and I would be happy to talk with you further.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    Here is a thread from earlier this summer when I was asking the same question: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...1-Raider-boats
    Im still up in the air between a Hewes Pacific Cruiser and the Raider line. I will be buying new when the time comes and I really like the fact that Raider is willing to work with me on layout. Im seriously thinking of their 30 footer though.
    So I read the original post and now I am curious, what made you choose between the Raider and the Hewes as the two boat companies? There are a plethra of other boat companies out there and I just wanted to see what got you zeroed in on these two. Also if I read your posts right, your planning on buying new, so that always makes for a big investment, just wanted to see how you got to where you are

Quote Originally Posted by akwchil View Post
    So I read the original post and now I am curious, what made you choose between the Raider and the Hewes as the two boat companies? There are a plethra of other boat companies out there and I just wanted to see what got you zeroed in on these two. Also if I read your posts right, your planning on buying new, so that always makes for a big investment, just wanted to see how you got to where you are
    Well, I haved owned a Hewes for the last 4 years and I really like the boat, I just want one that is dedicated to the salt and big enough to get my family on. 4 of us in my house, in-laws, and extended family all living in interior Alaska and everyone likes to fish. The boat that I have now is built for rivers and I need something that is laid out well for several family members as well as some over nighters.

My first look was at Deweys and their Pacific Cruisers. I liked (and my wife really liked) the idea of head on board, galley and a table that makes into a second bed were a must. The Hewes Pacific Cruiser 260 was a good fit, and it still is to a certain point. The only real drawback that I have with the hewes is the size of their fishing cockpit. 2 can fish without a problem, but 3 is really pushing it on the boat if it has a marine head.

Fast forward to a trip that I took down to Valdez this year where I saw a 2008 Raider 30' model. The boat was 1.5' wider and 4' longer. Most of the added length was in the fishing cockpit, however you do have more room inside, especially with the added width. The finishing touches on the boat that we looked at were great, the boat looked to be everything that we wanted (except the pricetag ). We saw a few other Raiders in the marina, all of them with a little different configuration and I am sure they all work great for the people who bought them.

With new info in hand I got back in touch with Deweys to see what I could do as far as modifying the origional layout of the boat. I dont like the idea of the seat right behind the captains chair being removed on the 2012 models, they extended the counter in its place. I had seen a few boats with the chair on the pre 2012 models and it could be removed and a freezer put in its place, I really liked that modification. Long story short, unless Hewes isnt selling the heck out of their current year boats, they really dont want to make one custom, and putting the chair back was a no deal...

I then called Raider and their distributer out of Spokane. Really nice people who put me in touch with the guy who bought the 30'. He answered a lot of my questions regarding his boat, the service after the sale, and what he would do differently. I like how you can tell them what you want, then they build the boat for you. To me, they just seemed to be more in touch with the customer.

None of this is a dig on Hewes, who knows, I still havent bought my boat yet and I still might end up down at Deweys. I just wish they would be a little more flexable on layouts and offer a little bit of a custom build. I want to buy just one boat for growing old in so Im not to fast to jump. I want to make sure that I get it right the first time.

Default Raider Boats

I forgot to mention, I also looked at a 29 Pilothouse Wolly at Marita, and the 27' glaciercraft. Neither boat was really what I was looking for.

The thing that sold me on Hewes vs others was what you got for the price, and more importantly, Hewes has a big door going out of the cabin to the bow. We have a cabin and need to beach the boat and get a LOT of gear off the bow onto shore, and that big Hewes door was just the ticket. The Pacific Cruiser you have to go out a little bitty hatch door that for sure you can't get an action packer through! Have had ours since 2008 and overall it has been great. Only beef is the auto-type electrical connectors, OK in the cabin but not inside the transom. I just replaced a lot of them with shrink-glue connectors. We have the 26' Alaskan, with mid cab and marine head, not sure why you think only two people fit well to fish, 4 is fine if you know what you are doing, but you can't all cast at the same time maybe...in calm conditions, someone can fish the bow safely too...fun to have silvers on stern and bow crossing each other, that makes me want a walk-around too!

77x66 fishing cockpit is pretty small IMHO. You could always fit 3 or 4 fishermen in that area, but its packed and you spend a good amount of your time untangling lines. I know, thats just about the size of my current cockpit.

I never said that I didnt like the Hewes, I just like the overall room of the Raider better.

so after reading your response, sounds like you are wanting to do it right, final boat type of deal... Of course there is always cost invovled and different levels of needs IE (sleeping arrangements). But if your looking for a big deck to fish off of and a cabin that is comfortable enought to live in for a few days, plus customize it to meet your needs... have you looked at a more custom type of boat?

say bayweld boats out of Homer ?http://bayweldboats.com/ or Almar by Northriver http://www.almarboats.com/custom-design/index.html, there is also a Motion Marine http://www.motionmarine.com/offshore.asp I have spoken with these guys in the past and they were pretty helpful. There are only a few of these boats up here but the one that I saw was pretty awesome.

There are a bunch of others like koffler, Kingfisher by jetcraft, or even boulton boats. Just thought I would throw that into the mix since you haven't madd up your mind.

The woooldridge, is a good boat, but like you don't care much for there ocean going boats, Duckworth is also good, but agian not a favorite for ocean outings.