Thread: Portage Lake Frozen?

Default Portage Lake Frozen?

Has anyone been in the portage area recently on their way to Whittier? Does Portage Lake look sufficiently frozen to walk on yet? I am thinking it could be a lot of fun to ice skate to the glacier before the lake gets snowed on. I was looking at an FAA weather cam mounted at the visitors center but it is tough to tell if the lake is frozen or open water.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ckreitel View Post
    Has anyone been in the portage area recently on their way to Whittier? Does Portage Lake look sufficiently frozen to walk on yet? I am thinking it could be a lot of fun to ice skate to the glacier before the lake gets snowed on. I was looking at an FAA weather cam mounted at the visitors center but it is tough to tell if the lake is frozen or open water.
    Thanks!
    I don't know how anyone could possibly look at a body of water and know if the ice is thick enough to walk on. Sounds like a good way to die, at least this early in the season.

Well, you walk out onto the ice bout 10 feet or so, drill a hole, go 10 feet more, drill a hole, 10 feet more, drill a hole. Do this until you are saticefied or you fall in... ha ha ha... always works for me... "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"