Thread: Argo?

Default Argo?

I'm thinking of buying an Argo or similar vehicle such as a Hydrotraxx, I would appreciate any input on either rig. The Hydro is only six wheels but reviews are very good. Argos are six and eight wheel but have heard that its high maintenance or can be. Either vehicle is better than 4-wheelers but what will stop them in hunting situations?

With adair WIDE tracks, the only thing that could stop a GOOD argo or Hydro trax or Mudd Ox or Max floating atv is a tree with over 2 (or 3) inch base standing in your way. Or a redicously fast flowing river. If you want to get out beyond the 4 wheeler croud.... this is it. Any open swamp you see, you can drive across.... They are slow and bumpy but i wont be with out them you may want to go take a peak at 6X6 world and ask around there.

Quote Originally Posted by Spookum View Post
    With adair WIDE tracks, the only thing that could stop a GOOD argo or Hydro trax or Mudd Ox or Max floating atv is a tree with over 2 (or 3) inch base standing in your way. Or a redicously fast flowing river. If you want to get out beyond the 4 wheeler croud.... this is it. Any open swamp you see, you can drive across.... They are slow and bumpy but i wont be with out them you may want to go take a peak at 6X6 world and ask around there.
    Thanks, I've looked at 6x6 world and got some good info, what started me thinking of buying one is I don't always have a hunting partner from yr. to yr. and am tired of having to adjust my plans accordingly. Two yrs ago I got stuck on a trail with my Honda by myself, nothing to winch from and had to walk out. So thought this would be the way to go if I had to hunt by myself. Just don't want to get a bigger vehicle and still get stuck and end up with a bigger problem cause I think any rig will get stuck.

Go with the Argo... 8 wheel, local parts and service if needed. The older Argos had their share of trouble, but the newer ones are great machines.

I have been hunting from an Argo since 1982. The newer ones are virtually trouble free if you keep up with them. On my last three rigs (99 conquest, 05 Avenger and 11 HDI), I have never had a breakdown and nothing more than regular maintenance and fluid changes were needed.

What will stop them in hunting situations you ask? Short answer is not much. I usually hesitate to post in these type threads because the wheeler guys usually chime in with their negative opinions. I canít tell you how many times over the years I have beat the wheeler guy to the road when I only have to make one trip and not winch through the mud holes.

Argos are not for everyone. They are slow and rough riding for the passengers. It takes a little time to learn how to drive one... It's kind of like reading the river in a boat. I bet you an experienced Argo driver can get through more than the new guy. If you want to go slow and steady, bring out your camp and meat in one load keeping it clean and dry then Argo may be a good choice for you.

For me the way I hunt and the places I go wheelers, side by sides and similar UTVís are not an option for me.

Good luck with your choice. There are quite a few knowledgeable Argo guys here and hopefully they will chime in and help you with your decision.

If you have more specific questions fire away.

I'd go with an argo with the admiral transmission.
    I had a 2007, sold it and bought a 2012 with low speed high torque transmission, put 16.5 adair tracks on it and have been very happy wih it
    dom

Quote Originally Posted by wenzelldo View Post
    I'd go with an argo with the admiral transmission.
    I had a 2007, sold it and bought a 2012 with low speed high torque transmission, put 16.5 adair tracks on it and have been very happy wih it
    dom
    Don't have the finances for a new rig so have to look for the best used one I can afford. Whats the admiral tranny? Still intriqued by the hydrotraxx that is hydrostatic, no chains, no gears, lines to each axle. By the way, how are these machines in steep country?

Admiral transmission is a revamp of argo transmission. Makes turning much less "jerky"
    Argo started putting them in 2010 model year I believe. Having both, I wouldn't go back to old style of transmission

Quote Originally Posted by 64moosecall View Post
    Don't have the finances for a new rig so have to look for the best used one I can afford. Whats the admiral tranny? Still intriqued by the hydrotraxx that is hydrostatic, no chains, no gears, lines to each axle. By the way, how are these machines in steep country?
    As to what one can afford ... no worries.... "once they are out the door, they're all used"

..."its only money"...Hate to say it in a nonchalant sort of way, but have learned through past experience not to be so tight with the budget on some things. For me, the dealership is located just down the street. But...
    If you know the fitting side of a grease gun, you can grease the bearings
    If you can operate a spray can, you can lube the chains
    If you can screw in a light bulb ... you can work the drain plugs
    If you can check the oil in your car ... you can check the oil in the machine

As for hydrostatic or not ... mines chain driven and I haven't researched the other side to provide meaningful information.

Also keep in mind that machine function in steep country is pretty subjective. At times, its a measure of traction whether its the tires you run, or if with or without tracks. At other times its a function of the engine, your cargo weight, and whether the trailer is suctioned to the muddy bottom or bog. When the terrain gets too steep and traction allows,just put it into low and climb some more.

So don't rush things. I'm sure you have plenty of time to make the right decision for your circumstance.

argo also has a new machine called the titan. anybody seen one?

Yes, they are about five inches wider than the argo and have partial metal framework. I am hoping they will put a diesel in it like centaur