Thread: mailing ammo

Default mailing ammo

I am relocating from a Village and want to know if I can mail ammo via USPS to myself on the road system?
    An unarmed person is a victim waiting to happen.

I mailed some ammo to myself from my parent's house in PA. The package was heavy, and it broke open during shipping. When the contents were revealed, the ammo was confiscated. They also took the rifle bullets that were in the package....not ammo, just bullets for reloading. Evidently postal workers can't tell the difference, so they just took everything.

My father and I were both contacted by the Postal Inspector (via mail and phone), and he informed us that ammo is a restricted item, and the USPS will not transport it. When I asked him about the bullets, he said they were okay, but I never got them back.

I, too, am relocating from a village to the road system. My plan is to mail my other stuff, and travel with my ammo and guns. The airlines don't mind as long as you keep it to 50 lbs.

How much loaded ammo can you check with baggage at the airlines? Enough for a good prarie dog shoot? Can you carry powder in checked luggage?

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
    How much loaded ammo can you check with baggage at the airlines? Enough for a good prarie dog shoot? Can you carry powder in checked luggage?
    Five Kilograms or 11 pounds, but only in original packaging or containers made for ammo. No powder! That would be a bad thing. Your hunt will be spent trying to find a good lawyer.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

D-278
    Are you leaving Anchor Point or moving there? How far away is your ammo stash?

Alex
    down the road in Homer.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by d278 View Post
    I am relocating from a Village and want to know if I can mail ammo via USPS to myself on the road system?
    No, but you can carry 50 pounds in your checked baggage on Alaska.

Ammunition—up to 50 lbs.(domestic) and 11 lbs. (international - where permitted) may be checked, if securely packed in the original manufacturer's package or in a container designed for ammunition and of sufficient strength to protect it from accidental crushing or discharge (i.e. wood, fiber, plastic, or metal). The projectile must be no larger than 11/16" in diameter, the size of a dime. Ammunition may be checked with or separately from the firearm.
    http://www.alaskaair.com/www2/help/f...latedItems.asp