Thread: waxing traps

Default waxing traps

Ok guys i just got done dyeing my traps and was wondering how many of you guys dye your traps. I was testing a 120 out last night and the **** thing was pretty hard to set off and raised a concern of how to make it more sensitive.

Do not wax your conibears.. That's a bad move. If you want them more sensitive file out the notch on the dog and it'll do the trick. Do your hand a favor and save the wax for footholds

lbtrapper do you have videos posted on youtube for trapping otters? thanks for the advice on the conibears i have had my hand smacked a couple times with 110's and i really dont want to find out how it feels with a 120 or bigger.

Ditto what LBTRAPPER said, dyeing your traps isn't really necessary and neither is waxing at least here in the interior. I just boil my traps in spruce and alder to remove the human smells and give it that sprucy smell. You can also dip your traps and conibers in a 50% rustoleum ( color of your choice ) and 50% thinner, put it in a metal bucket and stir it up. Dip your traps and then hang in the sun to dry, put a lid on your metal bucket and save whats left to redip traps as needed.

I second the comment of "don't wax conibears" not a happy ending

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfever1 View Post
    lbtrapper do you have videos posted on youtube for trapping otters? thanks for the advice on the conibears i have had my hand smacked a couple times with 110's and i really dont want to find out how it feels with a 120 or bigger.
    Yeah, I Have a few older videos on there I posted to help a few guys out. Also put a video of a "double" on otters.

With conibears I've gotten away from dying them. Now I speed dip ALL of mine. I like have different colored coni's for different situations. I have white and dark tan conibears. It really doesn't matter but I like making things look good, guess its a confidence thing.. Really like my white 280's for setting otter toilets here in the interior