Thread: Getting to the Deshka by boat

Default Getting to the Deshka by boat

I took my boat to the Deshka A few years ago(16 foot W 50 jet.) I fished with someone who knew the river( Susitna). I want to go again and take my boat but I am not sure about reading the Susitna I do know how to get to the Deshka. Any Suggestion On getting there.

If you are running a jet unit, all you need to know is that it is downstream . Running a prop on the other hand....it is best to follow someone who knows the channels at least once. It isn't difficult, but the river has changed in the last couple of years, especially that mile upstream of the Deshka.

Finding it isn't difficult either, after running a few miles downstream from the Deshka landing, you will see a high cut bank on the North side of the river....thats it. Just make a sweeping turn into the mouth (sweep it to avoid the idiots cutting the corner coming out of the mouth at mach 3).

Deshka landing to the Deshka takes me about 8 minutes @ ~30 mph and 12 minutes back up (running a prop so I can't cut the corners...)
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Stay to the outside of the first couple of bends and then run the left side all the way down with a big sweeping turn into the Deshka and you will be safe. If the water is low there are a couple of things to watch for even if your running a jet. After the first bend start to cross over, if the water is low you won't make it to the second bend due to a sometimes very large gravel bar with very shallow water on the left side. Aside from that be sure to make a large sweeping turn entering the Deshka not only to avoid the idiots Mud spoke of but if the water is low there is also a large sandbar there you will want to avoid. Last year there was plenty of shallow water. I'm not sure if that is normal or if I just went earlier than normal and more often. I wouldn't worry to much about it though with a boat your size. Its easier to remove than several that I saw last year sitting high and dry.

Aside from all of that, you could just follow someone and you'll get the hang of it.

I really need to get out there or I'm gonna go nuts talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    I really need to get out there or I'm gonna go nuts talking about it.

I have the bug too. There is only one cure.

If you wait long enough at the landing, you will be able to follow someone!

Come-on sun, melt that river ice!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/