Thread: Cluttered Garage Gotcha Down?

Default Cluttered Garage Gotcha Down?

I have just over a dozen fishing rods, and that is not including my MANY ice fishing rods. In previous years I took wall hooks and hanged my fishing rods on my garage wall horizontally. This looked sloppy and I had to put as many as 5 rod and reel combos on each set of hooks. This was not very practical to me. This summer I am in pursuite of the ultimate MAN GARAGE!!! Since my MAN ROOM was taken over by a baby and crib last summer. :-)

I have a neighbor that I talk to almost on a daily basis. In his garage he had a great ideal when it came to storing his fishing rods. It was so genious I had to rig up the same setup in my garage. MAN!!!! What a difference. I used two 6" wide piece of OSB and some ABS pipe. I cut the ABS into 6" lenth's to hold the handle of the rods and screwed it to one section of OSB. For the rod tip I did the same thing but the ABS was cut in 3" lengths. I took these finished pieces and screwed them to the ceiling in my garage.

If you have dozens of rods leaning in the corner of your garage this is a must do project. Its cheap and you will not regret it. Just make sure it clears your garage door. :-O
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Great idea!

I have something similar on my garage wall. I used 2" ABS cut in 12" lengths and screwed to plywood. It holds the rods vertical and is really easy to get them in and out.

Share some more ideas! My garage is still a mess! )
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Heard verticle is better...

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud
    I have something similar on my garage wall. I used 2" ABS cut in 12" lengths and screwed to plywood. It holds the rods vertical and is really easy to get them in and out.

Share some more ideas! My garage is still a mess! )
    I hear that storing your rods vertically is better than storing them horozontially, as the bending of the rods would give them "memory bend"

I don't know if today's composites are the same as they were when they wrote the book that I read that with, but I am sure that vertical storage should be the way to go...

Just ma 2 brown monies...

I like the idea of vertical storage but I wanted to utilize my ceiling space. Its there, why not use it. I positioned the tip holder more towards the middle of my rods. Theres almost no bend in my rods except the shorter light weight rods with a lot of play, mainly the ugly sticks. LOL I am not to worried about memory bends in a cheap Ugly Stick. I would assume it would take decades to develope a bend in a graphite rod. Most of the time I leave my hooks attached to an eye lid with a slight bend anyways. I stored them this way for a long time and I havnt seen any ill effects.

10 years from now I will dig this thread from the grave and re-report. :-)

Great idea! Take it one step further maybe and cut a slice out of the side of the pvc pipe so you can put the rod in from the side. That way you don't have to hit the eyelets when sliding them in.

^^ I thought about it but I decided to not cut a side section in the pipe. With 3" ABS it gives a girthy diameter that will fit any eye loop on any of my rods. I just lift the rod as high as I can and it clears no problem. I also thought about using wall hooks for the rod tips.

Smile materials

Where did you purchase your materials? and how much material did you purchase for each needed?

Thanks

I had all the materials laying around in my back yard.

An 8' piece of 3" diameter ABS or PVC pipe should be plenty. Then I used some OSB (I call it flake board) that was laying around. I would say two peices 6" wide by 4' long. To screw the ABS to the OSB I used 1 1/2" screws. To screw the finished product to the ceiling I used 3" wood screws. You can pick up the materials at most hardware stores.

Default **** Fine Idea!

Water Gremlin thanks for sharing your idea. I know I suffer from the same issues but up here in Kotzebue garages are hard to come by. Any ideas for a Conex from Hell?

Walt
    www.northwestalaska.com