Thread: Meat Per Caribou

Default Meat Per Caribou

I am planning a caribou hunt for September 2013 and was wondering on average how much meat would you get from a bull caribou? Thanks in advance.

Roughly 100 lbs. Also depends on the bone-in or out scenario.
    Are you asking for flying/weight purposes or how much should you expect to put in your freezer once home?
    BK

It was a multipurpose question, to see how much meat I would be bringing home but to also see around what the weight would be for flying so I can budget for bringing it home.

Rough average weight for a decent bull (quarters and ribs on bone) would be about 200lbs not including cape or rack. My buddy's bull weighed 208 at the processor this fall.

Same rough weight for a decent sized cow would be 100 or so pounds and maybe a little change- mine went 128lbs this fall.

Rough freezer yield would be half that or about 100lbs and 60lbs respectively.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

My caribou from 2011 was 282 bone in at the processors. My 2012 caribou was less since I had the time to take the meat off the brisket and neck. This section of the caribou has the most bone density, and the stripped bone probably weighed about 60 pounds.

Since I get a lot of sausage made I can't offer up a good after processing weight. However, with about 50/50 pork to bou sausage mix this years caribou was about 100 pounds of meat minus the shot out front legs.

Last two bulls weighed about 100# no bones ready to be ground. Cow before those was 70#. Thats after hanging and hand picking every piece I could.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

This year 4 of us took 6 caribou, 1 cow, 2 young bulls, and 3 decent bulls. We had a rough guess of 340 pounds of boneless meat that we flew out with, not including capes and antlers. The pilot did put a scale on the meat and we underguessed a little bit (about 10%) for most of the meat bags.

Thanks for the info guys.

Don't forget that the weights vary substantially depending on which herd you hunt. I typically hunt western or central arctic herd. Large bulls will yield about 110 pounds of boned meat. 40 mile or mulchatna bulls tend to be substantially heavier but I don't have specific numbers as I have not weighed animals from those herds.

This year's 40-mile bull produced the most meat we've ended up with exactly 152#. This was a result of an indavertant head shot and absolutely no meat lost to bullet damage.