Thread: Packs

Default Packs

does anyone have any pack reccomendations. I have looked at the Frontier Gear of Alaska Freighter Frame and liked it but cant find many reviews. thanks

Do a search on this forum for Barneys packs. The frontier gear of Ak is a Barneys pack. You will get about 1 million recommendations if you do.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

The barneys pack has yet to disappoint me.Seen a few internal packs that look nice and serve a purpose.But for a all around pack I wouldn't want another.After I skinned my bear and took my hunter bag off the frame I thought there was no way it was gonna hold on after lashing it on.Made it 8 miles and a skiff ride before even being a problem.Would recommend it over any pack.

I would also estimate that at least 90% of guides and packers in the state use them.... i am sure I have 1000's of pounds of meat and gear on mine over the years without an issue....

Check out the Kifaru Timberline, too. I've never heard a bad thing about it, and mine worked great on two mountain hunts this year.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

for the price if your lookin to pack some heavy loads im a big fan of the basic kelty packframe at sportsmans for 110 bucks, especially when it comes to packin out moose quarters these packs can hold some weight while at the same time are still comfortable

I have used an Alaskan Guide pack from Cabela's for the last 6 years and it has not failed me.

Kifaru DT1, best pack I've ever owned.

I own several packs, but when I need a frame pack I haven't found a better option for me than a Barney's frame. When your next in ANC stop by Barney's Sports Chalet and try one on and talk to the staff. They've always been extremely helpful to me and my wife and there is no way to find what really fits without trying them on and have them fitted.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

My Mystery Ranch worked pretty well when down in the Lower 48:

Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

We did a review on the Barney's Pack some time ago and you can find it at this link: Barney's Moose Pack Review.

You will always have others out there who prefer this or that, and can provide supporting documentation for their choice. Keep in mind that some of these folks only have a small number of Alaska hunts under their belt and are basing their opinion on those experiences. Still, there are other brands that work. It depends a lot on how long you plan to use it, and what you plan to carry on it.

You'd be hard pressed to find a better design that will hold up to heavy loads, year after year, in Alaska conditions. The Barney's pack can be adjusted to fit your body, while being strong enough to handle really heavy loads without tearing you up. I have packed out 14' self-bailing rafts, firewood, very large meat loads (including moose quarters, whole sheep, goat and caribou), water, tents and camping gear, and just about anything else you can imagine needing on a guided hunting trip in Alaska with my Barney's pack, and have never broken even a frame pin. One of my packs is close to 20 years old and it still works as good as the day I bought it.

There's a really good reason why most guides use them.

And keep in mind, there are packs out there that look like a Barney's moose pack, but they're cheap knock-offs. I have a photo of one of those in the review, and the frame is bent in half. The metal is not nearly strong enough for heavy work. Not to mention inferior stitching, fabric and support systems.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I have a hideaway expedition frame pack. A friend picked it up for me a few years back. Great suspension system, but it is heavy. I would have gone for something lighter. Has these ridiculously heavy knobs to lock the meat shelf in place.

I use it in conjunction with an internal expedition pack giving me the ability to leap frog loads between two packs. Or if it is relatively flat land, I can wear one on the front and one on the back. Has worked well for long pack outs in steep terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    Kifaru DT1, best pack I've ever owned.
    Same here!! More comfy for my small waist (gets small enough) than the Barney's. If the Barney's was able to get small enough in the waist I imagine it would have worked even better. Barney's are WAY amazing, just doesn't work for my body type with my waist being 29-30" or so.

I've hauled and hauled through all kinds of situations with a Barney's pack. It's not the only pack in my shed. It is the pack I'll grab when I mean business.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    I've hauled and hauled through all kinds of situations with a Barney's pack. It's not the only pack in my shed. It is the pack I'll grab when I mean business.
    Besides hauling they make good sleds in shale. They also can handle a toss of a cliff( within reason) when it's a little too risky to climb with it on ...

Take a look at Eberlestock out of Boise Idaho
    "f/64 and be there"

Quote Originally Posted by EMoss#83 View Post
    Take a look at Eberlestock out of Boise Idaho
    I really like Eberlestock and have 2 of them. They are not a long range heavy load pack in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Besides hauling they make good sleds in shale. They also can handle a toss of a cliff( within reason) when it's a little too risky to climb with it on ...
    Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.