Thread: 340 bee

Default 340 bee

I will buying a 340 soon. I have the option of a 24 inch barrel or a 26 inch one. I like the thoughts of a shorter barrel for walking through the bush etc. The question is " how much fps will i be giving up with the shorter barrel"? Thanks.

This is probably going to get moved to the Shooting forum, just an FYI so you can find it to read replies.

Anyways, the 340 is a big case and in my opinion if I were to get one it should have a 26" tube. If I'm going to pay for WBY ammo I want it to step all over the 338 winmag not just barely beat it. That's just my take and I don't like long barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by saul goode View Post
    I will buying a 340 soon. I have the option of a 24 inch barrel or a 26 inch one. I like the thoughts of a shorter barrel for walking through the bush etc. The question is " how much fps will i be giving up with the shorter barrel"? Thanks.
    There is no exact way to know, but probably 50-75 fps at most and possibly a good bit less. I'd be unconcerned with the velocity lost or gained and buy according to balance and fit. My 340 Bee is a factory 26" version, but can't think of where a 24" would've caused any issue.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

The .340 is a really big case and, like most Wby cartridges, will likely do it's best with a 26" tube. No harm in a 24" if that's what floats your boat but when I think Wby- I think wringing every last bit out of a bore, even if it's just 50-75fps.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I was just reading about the original .228 weatherby and came across several arcticles stating weatherbys are at their best with a 26 in barrel..mine are 26 and I have no first hand knowledge with a 24' but thought I would share what I read...

I have quite a few rifles and I take out my 340 probably 90% of the time. LOVE that thing..26'' barrel
    dom

I've got to give my dad some huge props here. As a graduation gift he bought me a Weatherby Accumark in 300wby with the accubreak. It is by far the best rifle I've ever shot or been around. I'm not a shooting expert, just an average hunter but I couldn't be more impressed. I just can't imagine taking another rifle to the field to hunt. It has a 26 inch barrel and I don't notice it at all. It's a one shot, one kill kind of rifle for the game I'm hunting.

On the top of my list for my next rifle, which won't be happening for a long time, is a 340wby accurmark. Other than an ultralight sheep hunting rifle to take on walk in big time sheep hunts, its the only gun I'd ever consider taking over my 300wby accumark.

In other words, get the 340wby with a 26 inch barrel. In my opinion, you won't regret it.