Thread: Arrow weight vs kinetic energy

Default Arrow weight vs kinetic energy

I have a current setup that gives me 62.7 lbs of kinetic energy with a 454 grn arrow at 248 fps. I found that a 390 grn arrow will give me 63.5 lbs of kinetic energy at 270 fps. Are there any benefits to the heavier arrow?

Quote Originally Posted by akchase View Post
    I have a current setup that gives me 62.7 lbs of kinetic energy with a 454 grn arrow at 248 fps. I found that a 390 grn arrow will give me 63.5 lbs of kinetic energy at 270 fps. Are there any benefits to the heavier arrow?
    while kinetic energy is a good gauge there are other factors involved in arrow performance... heavier arrow has more force behind it.. Ashby did a bunch of studies on it and here is a link if you are interested in reading it...
    Dave

http://tuffhead.com/education/ashby.html

http://archeryreport.com/2011/01/hea...s-speed-power/

Here is a good article explaining better than I can.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thanks I will read up on it

Chase just remember even reading all these studies my opinion is its all about balance and what works best for you. both of what you described will work well for the thin skinned game of Alaska(may want to stay on the heavy side for a coastal brown due to size).. you dont want to go crazy heavy and risk bad yardage judgement and miss nor do you want a super high speed 5 grains per pound arrow that wont penetrate a moose...

Bottom line. The heavier arrow is going to retain its KE longer than the lighter arrow.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thanks guys I appreciate the info I think I'll stick with the 454 grn arrow. I was confusing KE and momentum as being the same

that was a good article you found dave that makes a lot of sense. haven't had time to read the one by dr ashby yet

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    that was a good article you found dave that makes a lot of sense. haven't had time to read the one by dr ashby but it seems like alot of basis for the study is decades old with gear mostly outdated but i'm still going to take a look.
    cjustinm Ashby does have some updated stuff I believe.. Like most things I think you have to read with a grain of salt so to speak.. I dont completely agree with all of Ashbys stuff(not that I am anybody) but what I found neat was that it used to be preached for hunting that an arrow should be balanced at 7-10 percent FOC then when I started shooting target archery we were shooting arrows and adding melted lead to the tips to get 200 grain points and believe it or not it made a difference in x count and out FOC was crazy forward. So I had all this in mind when I read it and tried to relate it too hunting and found his studies to be interesting.. He also talks about things like correct arrow flight which makes sense but sometimes you cant get a broad head to fly with a super heavy point weight.. sorry to ramble just though I would share some of my experiences
    Dave

yeah i went back and edited my post to remove some of that. after reading some of it there were some more recent additions. im sure his principals remain the same i was just thinking with all the different technology carbon,graphite,expandables,different bows, some of his studies would be obsolite. i'm really reading into this stuff because i'm trying to find the best arrow/broadhead combo for a new recurve and am unsure which way i want to go. light and flat shooting or heavy and more power but a worse trajectory...i think im going for the latter.