Thread: Where to find Agates

Default Where to find Agates

I was wondering if there is any beachs around Anchorage that are good to walk to find aggats, I've also heard that fire Island is a good place to go if you can confirm this I'd appreciate it.

thanks

Thumbs up Agates, agates every where

I was just sitting here after dumping the agates from my pocket. I just got back from the cabin and I always leave an hour or 2 for walking the beach. I did a good 6 mile walk today. Good sun and no wind (it makes the eyes water). Found about 2 pounds of smaller ones. One beautiful polished teardrop and one striated 4 color. One white one with a red web in it. So 2 trophies and an honorable mention.
    Almost any Cook Inlet beach has agates, just some more than others. I have found them at Point Woronzof, just past the airport. Not a whole lot there as there are a lot of eyes looking. I say right now is the best time. The ice has stirred a new batch out of the gravel. You can park at the overlook and head down the hill from there. There is a big old concrete tower coming out of the beach, start just east of there. Hunt west form there, going clear around past the sewage treatment plant. I like to hunt into the sun, which back lights the clearer agates.
    Every time I run my skiff to the cabin I stop at Fire Island. It is good gravel beach along the entire channel. The backside and ends are mud. Fire Island is spotty, but the surf stirs the beach a lot. I have found beautiful red ones there. Gotta keep an eye on the boat, the tide moves fast and it will leave you high and dry. That means you suddenly have a LOT of time to hunt for rocks. It's actually a good day trip, picnic and fire, on a sunny windless day.
    The beaches around Kenai have been productive for me. I hear of blue ones, but have yet to score one. Same for Mendenall Lake beaches in Juneau, blue agates. I have found agates in almost all parts of Alaska. On gravel roads, air strips, river banks. The largest, raw looking ones come from up the rivers. I walk lots of islands and river banks every summer.
    The best that I have found near Anch is the west side. Not much foot traffic and miles of beaches. I have hunted them from the track rig and 4 wheeler, just idling down the beach. Wake up and your miles from home with a pocketful of sunshine. Ain't life grand!

Just remember, the tide book is your friend (low tide exposes more beach).
    OK, now everyone knows one of my passions. Friends tell me it's good I don't have gold fever.

Good hunting! Let me know how you do.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

We find some beach agate down here and from time to time some nice little blackish green jade slicks that will cut and polish up pretty nice.

I understand you Ak folks have some nice jade too, ever find any?

Well thanks for the replies, I'm from Kenai and have grown up walking the beaches for aggats. I have found one aggat down there that was probably what you would say was blue, it was actually more of a white aggat with a side of it looking blue, it's probably the only one I've ever found. We always headed north from Kenai and hit the beaches out by Nikiski. But thanks again for the info.

Jacob

Default Aggates....

Jacob, I live out here in Kenai and my girlfriend and I have been loooking for a few out towards Nikiski too. Problem is I don't exactly know what to look for. Can you describe them or better yet post a picture of one? I would sure appreciate it...my girl is driving me batty trying to find these freakin things!! Thanks alot and take care...Randy.

Ive found thousands of beautiful agates walking the beaches on the west side of the inlet near the mouth of the Chuitna river.

Well if I was down there I could probably meet you to help you and your girlfriend out but I would start out in Nikiski at Salamantoff beach and head south on the beach. The road is by the tesoro plant. I'll see about posting some pics later.