Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellow Lab Sheds Bad

Default Yellow Lab Sheds Bad

I've never seen a short haired dog shed so bad before. I'm wondering if any of you yellow lab owners happen to have found a miracle cure for shedding? A few years ago we figured out he is allergic to corn so we started feeding him, what we feel is pretty good stuff, Natural Choice lamb and rice formula by Nutro. It's supposed to improve the coat and help with shedding. It may be, but not enough for me that's for sure. Maybe I should ask if anybody has a yellow that doesn't shed.....and if so what are you feeding him?

Sure would like to do something about this.....

Thanks....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Love my yellow dog, but she sheds plenty. That's the only drawback to having a lab. I learned to brush her several times a week with a horse style hoop brush. Different sized teeth on each side. It works well and takes the loose stuff off.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Guy gets salmon oil on every meal, he doesn't shed much don't know if the oil has anything to do with it.

My yellow lab sheds plenty...generally in the spring and fall as seasons change. I believe it's called "blowing the coat" or some such.

Haven't found anything to stop it. Just get a good dust mop and a shop vac....
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Lol, what hodgeman said. Some times theres enough brushed off, I wonder where the second lab came from.
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Just part of having a Lab. Sometimes I swear there is another dog running around my house, because with all the hair I find, I could swear my dog should be bald by now.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I have 3 of them and we found it easier to change the carpet and clothes to match the hair - nothing stops them from shedding.

Thumbs up Worth the trouble . . .

4merguide,

Have you never heard the old saying about Labs?

"Chew till they're two,
    Shed till they're dead."

They're worth it . .

Thanks for the replies guys......I had to at least try to put it out there, but had my doubts about a "wonder cure"....lol. I just find it interesting tho as my chessie never shed even close to how "Sunny", (my yellow) does. And I remember a few chocolates that didn't shed much at all either. A buddy has an old black that sheds bad too, so I guess blonde hair is at least better than black. But I don't think that even blacks have much of a problem either, but I could be wrong. I just have to wonder what's in the yellow's chemistry that is that much different than other short haired dogs?

Anyway...we thank you....

if you want to make him a chessie I have a pile of hair for ya...

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    My yellow lab sheds plenty...generally in the spring and fall as seasons change.
    If it was just spring and fall I could live with it. But this guy doesn't seem to change all year. What are you feeding yours?

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    If it was just spring and fall I could live with it. But this guy doesn't seem to change all year. What are you feeding yours?
    Don't get me wrong...he sheds all year but the "peak season" is spring and fall when's its the worst.

I feed him Eagle Pack Lamb and Rice....corn based feed tears him up bad.

I do take him occasionally to the dog groomer (sorta silly for a lab) but she uses some sort of "fur-manator" and anti-shed shampoo that works kinda sorta....at least he smells better afterward.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    if you want to make him a chessie I have a pile of hair for ya...
    Really...???!!! Hmmmmm.....that too is interesting as my old girl hardly shed at all. Of course she was always in the water.....I always thought that helped but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DEMainah View Post

Guy gets salmon oil on every meal, he doesn't shed much don't know if the oil has anything to do with it.
    Could be, but like I said I've never known chocolates to shed much at all. For a time I tried to give Sunny some kind of oil from a bottle. Put it on his food but he didn't like it and pretty much stopped eating. So that was the end of that. I've often thought of giving him fish but don't know in what capacity....

He's a lab so he will shed. Try Retrieve and Skin Coat as a food supplement. Sports'mans Warhouse.Duckdon

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Could be, but like I said I've never known chocolates to shed much at all. For a time I tried to give Sunny some kind of oil from a bottle. Put it on his food but he didn't like it and pretty much stopped eating. So that was the end of that. I've often thought of giving him fish but don't know in what capacity....
    I use the yummy chummy oil, good luck

If he is outside a lot he will probably keep a lot of his coat. I have noticed dogs that live inside seem to shed a lot more than ones who spend a lot of time outside. Take him duck hunting with you too, he will probably keep a lot more of his coat if he is swimming in cold water. Although it's probably locked up down on the Kenai peninsula right now.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I believe what duckslayer said has some truth to it.
    While at work I keep my dogs in an indoor/outdoor kennel set up in what used to be a garage. So a large part of their day is in that environment. They have access to the outdoors for potty breaks and indoors for warmth. How ever I keep the garage temperature lower than in the house. I try to keep it in the 50s, my wife prefers the 60s. I believe the metabolism is affected by the dogs being inside a house that is warmer and they tend to shed more year round.

"{ I keep my dogs in an indoor/outdoor kennel set up in what used to be a garage}"

Each individual kennel has an arctic entry with at least two "doors" to keep the wind out. The outside kennel is chain link and covered with clear corrugated plastic to allow some light in.

I had to smile when I read the title.
    My bosses have a yellow lab. They also babysit their son's chocolate lab on a very regular basis. Both dogs are indoor dogs. Both come to the shop and the yellow lab is ALWAYS shedding. (they had a yellow lab before him who shed a lot as well).

I had a black lab mix and choc. lab/chessie mix. Neither shed excessively except during typical spring 'blow out'.

I personally think it is a 'yellow lab' thing.... but would be interested to hear from others.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast