Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Packrafting Carnage!

  1. #1
    Member Gilliland440's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    333

    Default Packrafting Carnage!

    Here is my swim compilation for this years packrafting & kayaking. Lots of swims & laughs with lots of friends.
    Enjoy!
    -JR

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heow9...ature=youtu.be

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    697

    Default Campfire talk

    Always the most talked about portions of the trips, lots of smiles.

  3. #3
    Moderator hunt_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla--Cantwell Transplant
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    That was intense, man! Great footage!

  4. #4
    Member DannerAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Whiskey River
    Posts
    1,161

    Default Packrafting Carnage!

    I gotta give it to ya's. You won't catch me playing with those kind of sweepers/strainers anymore. Had me worried a few times there.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

  5. #5
    Member BlueMoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rifle River MI
    Posts
    1,835

    Default

    I am now officially sucking up to you and your crew. Great vid. As always continue to share. GREAT Stuff. Heck I think oh crap when I have a tube hung and sucking water over the side. Now I realize I am nothing more than a whimp.

    Float on my friend Float on!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilliland440 View Post
    Here is my swim compilation for this years packrafting & kayaking. Lots of swims & laughs with lots of friends.
    Enjoy!
    -JR

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heow9...ature=youtu.be
    After so many baths, you guys are no doubt cleaner than you've been all year. Are you dried off yet ??? Great report !

  7. #7
    Member Gilliland440's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    333

    Default

    The video ended up being blocked due to copyright issues w/ Crazy Train so I changed it over to Motorhead Overkill and here is the new link.
    Enjoy!
    -JR

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4HPu...ture=autoshare

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    697

    Default pokies

    Hey JR, anybody get any holes from the spruce tree adventure? Was that SF ER? Looks like the kind we find there.

    I almost got swept into a log jam on the Tonsina, and man was it scary. We came upon a horrible mile long section with wood stacked down both sides, I caught a small eddy to avoid whipping around a blind corner, and my friend, behind me, had no where to go and bumped me out, while flipping himself. I caught the inside corner of the bend and got a peek that it was clear. My friend, although he swam, made it ok too, but almost went under a logjam, and bad at that.

    I still think about the wood on that river,(six years later) and how destructive the flood was that deposited it. Only one portage though, it's big enough that trees have a hard time staying breached over it. Scary heart pumping moments.

    Yowsa, stay warm & safe

  9. #9

    Default

    Are you people crazy?? rhetorical question..lol

    The things young folks do for fun.. the sweepers are interesting. all fun and games till someone loses an eye..



    good video..

  10. #10
    Member Gilliland440's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark oathout View Post
    Hey JR, anybody get any holes from the spruce tree adventure? Was that SF ER? Looks like the kind we find there.

    I almost got swept into a log jam on the Tonsina, and man was it scary. We came upon a horrible mile long section with wood stacked down both sides, I caught a small eddy to avoid whipping around a blind corner, and my friend, behind me, had no where to go and bumped me out, while flipping himself. I caught the inside corner of the bend and got a peek that it was clear. My friend, although he swam, made it ok too, but almost went under a logjam, and bad at that.

    I still think about the wood on that river,(six years later) and how destructive the flood was that deposited it. Only one portage though, it's big enough that trees have a hard time staying breached over it. Scary heart pumping moments.

    Yowsa, stay warm & safe
    Yeah that was South Fork. That last flood really jammed the river up! We had 7 portages, so we will have to plan a river clean up party sometime to get it back to an enjoyable form.
    -JR

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilliland440 View Post
    Yeah that was South Fork. That last flood really jammed the river up! We had 7 portages, so we will have to plan a river clean up party sometime to get it back to an enjoyable form.
    -JR

    any relation the the Homer Gillilands?.. Chicken gold mining Gillilands?

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post
    Are you people crazy?? rhetorical question..lol

    The things young folks do for fun.. the sweepers are interesting. all fun and games till someone loses an eye..



    good video..
    No kidding! For once I'm thankful to be too old and beat up to participate.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •