Thread: Anyone here been to MALTA ?

Default Anyone here been to MALTA ?

We are planning our next trip. I always wanted to go to Malta but always missed it. The closest I got was when we were allowed to fly over the smaller island with a SH-2 Seasprite helo back in the late 1970s...
    Since there are a few long haul heavy iron pilots and a few mil pilots here I figure a couple of you folks might have been there and have an opinion of the place as a historical tourist destination.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Hey Float Pilot, Yes sir, I was there and had a good time. i flew for a non-sched company in the 80's that did contract flying for air Malta. We lived there for the summer and stayed in a real nice hotel for that part of the world. With that I mean evaporators no air conditioning and when the wind was blowing from desert there was a light coating of dust on everything in your room- but really no big deal. The people were great, the history was second to none, SCUBA diving was fun. It is a little pricey but doable and very much worth the trip. Malta is the escape place for northern Europe and you can find lots to do as a tourist or just wonder around and enjoy local life. you will have a blast, I've often wanted to take my wife there.

I figure we can go straight down from Frankfurt and then head back up to Bavaria for a family visit. Is a 7 or 10 day stay on Malta enough to see all the sites and museums??? I wonder if they have any civil aviation?

You could see everything in maybe 5 days, I think the island is 14 miles long and 5 wide. There are a few cities to go to and if you can take a boat trip to Camino island and have lunch there. If you can't find a boat try going to a dive shop and ask for a contact and hire the boat & Capt. or go along on a dive trip to Camino. The boats are those double enders painted bright colors, with a tiller, neat thing to do. You can get around on the buses easy and they are a trip in themself's. They are private owned and a family operation. Seemed that everything on the island had a story behind it. Malta is the most conquered nation in the world, has its own language spoken only on Malta, during WWII all the people of Malta were decorated by Britian for there bravery in resisting the Germans. I don't know about civil aviation wasn't into civil flying back then, have a great trip I'd love to be going myself.

I thought there would be several responses. Odd how the only one I get is from a guy who lives within 20 miles....

Did you stay in a big city or out in the countryside? How are the museums?

We stayed on the south coast about mid-island in a 4 star hotel, but the island is very populated not much country. I never made it to any museums, sorry, but it was more of pilots away from home, scuba diving, bars etc.. There is a church in Veld. that a German bomb fell into and didn't go off. the bomb was didsarmed and still there.

I have always been interested in going there since I read Ernle Bradfords excellent book The Second Great Seige, and also in Malta G.C The Unconquered Isle by Ian Hay and Fortress Malta by James Holland.

And of course Kenneth Poolman's Faith, Hope and Charity: Three Biplanes Against an Air Force The story of the three Sea Gladiators......

Attached Images Attached Images