Thread: New F-1 Chrony no good

Default New F-1 Chrony no good

Bought a new F-1 Chrony. However is givesweird readings when it is not reading an error message. I have tried it is various light conditionsand with 3 new batteries.
    FOR EXAMPLE

Ilined it up with my other Chrony(Master model) and while shooting a 44 special and obtained thesereadings. They were close enough totouch….

Master Chrony New F-1 Chrony

807fps 300.2
    814fps 300.0
    842fps 382
    847fps 421
    880fps 456
    891fps 483

So I spenty $11 to send it back today,,,,

Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Could it be giving you FPS ans MPS at the same time? I am to math illiteret to look it up to see if it matches... Never mind FP I did it with the trusty smarter than me phone. The numbers don't jive for that to be the case. I compared it with every other speed she had and nothing matched.
    I just got the Beta a couple weeks ago and havent given it a spin yet. Hope it fares better than yours did.

Yeah, I think you did right by sending it back. Those numbers don't make any sense.

What work best for a Shooting Chrony, is take a black Sharpie and make a line a round the bullet so the start and stop timer will see the bullet, most bullets are to shinney for the chorny to see.

Quote Originally Posted by 700P View Post
    What work best for a Shooting Chrony, is take a black Sharpie and make a line a round the bullet so the start and stop timer will see the bullet, most bullets are to shinney for the chorny to see.
    Interesting. Wonder why that would be? As I understand it the chrony only reads the shadow of the bullet passing over the detectors and I wouldn't think that bullet shininess would make a difference there.

The Chrony doesn't even need the dectector screens on an overcast day so I'm pretty sure it sees the bullet. The black sharpie trick works very well. I have been coloring the entire exposed part of the bullet and hadn't thought of just drawing a ring around it. Lately I have been using a black liquid shoe polish dauber because that is what I use to make a round black dot for cheap home made targets. It does make the Chrony see the bullet a lot better. However, I think the F 1 Chrony that float Pilot has is defective. The numbers he is getting make no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Lately I have been using a black liquid shoe polish dauber because that is what I use to make a round black dot for cheap home made targets.
    Forgive me for being off topic here but why make the targets yourself?

Go to Targetz.com and print the one you like. They have a huge selection.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

The fact that it did it on three different days, while the second Chrony was working just fine, tend to make the whole bullet blacking thing a moot point...

Now I have to wait to see what the Chrony folks do....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Likely something wrong with a line of code in the programming, they are a good outfit and will fix you up.

I um, shot, my Alpha a couple years ago with a 460 Smith turning it into so much scrap tin. Sent it to them and for something like $50 they sent me back a new Beta Master with the wired remote deal and all. I’d hit them up for any upgrades you may want while they have it, they may give you a smoking deal for the troubles your having.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Not recommended...

I got one of the Chrony Betas a year or so ago and found the electronics to be severely dated , and the instructions are among the worse I've ever seen for anything electronic. I found some slightly better instructions on the web, but I still haven't set down and figured out the key sequences to recover data, reset strings, etc . I wish I had sent it back, but I got it as a gift so I didn't have that option.

My experiences mirror those of many others from feed back left on the web. I'm not sure how much better the competition is, but I won't recommend a Chrony product to anyone.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I got one of the Chrony Betas a year or so ago and found the electronics to be severely dated , and the instructions are among the worse I've ever seen for anything electronic. I found some slightly better instructions on the web, but I still haven't set down and figured out the key sequences to recover data, reset strings, etc . I wish I had sent it back, but I got it as a gift so I didn't have that option.

My experiences mirror those of many others from feed back left on the web. I'm not sure how much better the competition is, but I won't recommend a Chrony product to anyone.
    Thats the one I got for a gift a couple weeks ago and those directions are so confusing that I have had to go back and read it a few times. Still have no clue how to use it.

Default don't feel alone..

I found some slightly better instructions on the web- perhaps the Chrony website - but they are still terrible. I don't how a product could be sold for so long with such poor instructions. many of

I've been fooling around with micro-processor based instruments in my work since the mid-80s and the Chrony probably dates from then. What is really needs is sequence chart of the keystrokes - a diagrams of how you work through the keystrokes to achieve a given function. The instructions say something like press the ST button to retrieve a string, but you have to be a certain point before you can do that but they don't give you the prior keystrokes.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    Thats the one I got for a gift a couple weeks ago and those directions are so confusing that I have had to go back and read it a few times. Still have no clue how to use it.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I make my own targets because it's cheaper and faster and I can use any type of paper I want. How about attaching a roll of butcher paper to the top of your target stand and pulling down a couple of feet of paper and clipping to the lower part of the stand with a couple of pre attached clothes pins. Then just poke the shoe polish dauber on as many places as you like. As far as the marker helping with this Chrony, no, there is something messed up with the electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I found some slightly better instructions on the web- perhaps the Chrony website - but they are still terrible. I don't how a product could be sold for so long with such poor instructions. many of

I've been fooling around with micro-processor based instruments in my work since the mid-80s and the Chrony probably dates from then. What is really needs is sequence chart of the keystrokes - a diagrams of how you work through the keystrokes to achieve a given function. The instructions say something like press the ST button to retrieve a string, but you have to be a certain point before you can do that but they don't give you the prior keystrokes.
    Yea the electronics are antiquated but they work just fine, long as it works they could put a cricket with a stopwatch in there for all I care.

Read instructions? I only read directions as a last resort and then only when nobody is looking to tell me to turn in my manhood membership. I’ve never had any need to read the Chrony instruction other than to find a phone number after I shot the thing . . . and I’m the guy that had to call Motorola years ago to learn to type a “C” on my phone I needed to keep pushing the 2 button. I spent a whole day trying to type Charlie in that dang phone, I even read the instructions too!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I make my own targets because it's cheaper and faster and I can use any type of paper I want. How about attaching a roll of butcher paper to the top of your target stand and pulling down a couple of feet of paper and clipping to the lower part of the stand with a couple of pre attached clothes pins. Then just poke the shoe polish dauber on as many places as you like. As far as the marker helping with this Chrony, no, there is something messed up with the electronics.
    I get mine fm targetz.com, then print them, tak'em to Kinkos and make copies.

There are many targets to choose from & black shows up good on white. Butcher paper would be good to cover target frame. Sometimes, like when you're using iron sights, a larger white background is needed.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.