Thread: Halibut Filleting

Default Halibut Filleting

What is the correct way to fillet halibut? I've always left that particular task to the professionals, but with grandkids on the way I'd like to be able to teach them the skill one day. I've filleted just about all of the fin fish to be had, but I understand the halibut is a whole different animal.

Halibut and flounder are the easiest fish to fillet, from my experience. You cut down the line in the center of both sides of the fish, and then take the fillet off from the middle to the outsides, along the ribs. You can also cut out a bit of meat around their cheeks...just feel for it.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default Check it out!!!

It helps to have a good flexible and sharp fillet knife. Watch the vid a few times and you'll get the idea. Just don't try to cut them that fast as you'll loose a finger or two, you have lots of time.

Then get out there and catch a few chickens to practice on.

Great thing about flounder or Halibut god gave you a line to cut at in the middle and then use the knife from there to the outer edges.along the bones.Wala boneless filets

you dont eat the dark side do you? just send them to me and ill get rid of them for you....

What's the best way to remove the skin? Pliers or run a knife between the skin and fillet?

IMO, a knife, because you can also trim all the "brown" meat off that's just under the skin. It works perfectly for me.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default removing skin

I usually make a cut down to the skin about a half-inch from the tip of the tail section, then, holding the knife in place and gripping that little tail piece, I pull the fillet down across the knife's edge with a back-and-forth movement.

Basically, instead of pushing the knife to cut, I'm pulling the fillet across it. Real simple and never cuts through the sking.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.