Thread: anyone going airboating this weekend?

Default anyone going airboating this weekend?

I missed a good offer to go a couple of weeks ago, but I have been out of town the last couple of weekends. I would like to go run with someone their boat and mine or just mine...need to ask a few questions and would not hurt to see how others run...If anyone is going out this weekend let me know....I would like to try a shallow river with out alot of boat traffic if at all possible. I ran the Knik a few weeks ago, but I would like to try a shallower river until I get the hang of things. However, you guys that are experienced may say Knik is best place to hone skills...give me your opinion.

Thanks.

Calndux ,

If you want to run the Big Su let me know been running it all week , Sat . Is our day off so if you want to head up this way (weather permitting) Drop me a P.M and I'll see if the wife wants to go..That should not be hard, I love running the shallows and exploreing new channels the boat handles better but I'm bad about busting the trim tab rods....Is that shallow enough for you ? As far as boat traffic you are looking at -0- boats on my end of the river.

Roger

If you want shallow water try the Jim Creek flats. Many people get stuck on this short section of water. Its something I would never do alone unless you have some serious hours of shallow water riding under your belt. Its kind of hard to push a boat and work the tiller and throttle at the same time. The upper end of Knik can get pretty shallow along the left bank.

One time we were so stuck on the flats we used an old winchester 30-30 to hold the throttle down while all four of us pushed, in the mean time I was pushing and working the tiller. We beached the airboat 30 feet or so from the creek on the flats. That wind will getcha.

Shallow water is tricky with airboats. In a turn the inside edge of the boat cannot cut into the water. This means you slide and will not turn unless you have a good sense of your throttle, tiller control and the mindset to compensate for your over tillering corners.

Man, I miss running airboats. :'-(

I've ran an airboat or been in one, but it sounds like it would be fun I might have to think about one in the future.

Default Big Su airboat ride

Calndux ,
    Hope you had fun and maybe learned a few things, My wife told me thank you for taking it easy on you.....So knows how I love to run narrow channels and skinny water..(SMILE). But since you only been out a few times I did not want to put the fear of god in you ....(:. I forgot to ask you if you noticed how the boat handled different on the way down river ? The wind was stronger.

Thumbs up Thanks

for taking it easy...maybe next time we can try the skinny stuff. I had a great time and enjoed getting to know you folks.

Coming down river was kind of like running up the Knik, I had to throddle more and had more drag. I did learn quite a bit, and I think once I get the steering down good (not giving gas while turning hard) I should do okay. My boat handles really well in the shallows and performs good at lower rpms.

Thanks again and I (we) look forward to having you guys down for dinner sometime.

Hope to run the Knik with you before long...Liz (wife) said will go next trip, either up your way or down here.

Take care and if you need some help sometime just let me know.

Gary.