Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spotter

Default Spotter

Is there a Swarro quality spotter that is made in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by Rope View Post
    Is there a Swarro quality spotter that is made in the US?
    Negative.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Nope the best spotter in my experience at least is made in Austria

I have looked through the Loupie's Gold Ring, I would like to see through the US Optics. I hope that I can find top quality glass and want to buy made in. However I am in the sunrise of my sheep hunting career and I do not want to make poor decisions on gear. I would like to buy US made gear. I also don't to waste money on stuff that does not work on the mountains.

I really appreciate your advice. Thank you

I have looked through the Loupie's Gold Ring, I would like to see through the US Optics. I hope that I can find top quality glass and want to buy made in. However I am in the sunrise of my sheep hunting career and I do not want to make poor decisions on gear. I would like to buy US made gear. I also don't to waste money on stuff that does not work on the mountains.

I really appreciate your advice. Thank you
    Buy the best once and it will last you a lifetime. When it comes to sheep hunting the best optics mean the difference between harvesting a trophy or going home empty... I would rather leave my food behind then my spotting scope and I am dead serious

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Buy the best once and it will last you a lifetime. When it comes to sheep hunting the best optics mean the difference between harvesting a trophy or going home empty... I would rather leave my food behind then my spotting scope and I am dead serious
    What he said!!! I would listen to this man.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

That settles it! Now to the eye piece, angled or straight? What magnification?

Maybe I should have asked what spotter to buy? After reading in the sheep judgeing thread I realize it is hard enough to make sure it is legal. And cant imagine how tuff it would be with subpar glass.

Or meet up with one of you and have a little help at one of the retailers spending some hard earned.

Thanks

That settles it! Now to the eye piece, angled or straight? What magnification?

Maybe I should have asked what spotter to buy? After reading in the sheep judgeing thread I realize it is hard enough to make sure it is legal. And cant imagine how tuff it would be with subpar glass.

Or meet up with one of you and have a little help at one of the retailers spending some hard earned.

Thanks

Rope these are some of the toughest questions.. My opinion is Swarovski is second to none in sheep country...Swarovski if one of the few scopes that I have used where at 60 power you could actually see out of it(well with no heat waves that is) Angled or straight is up to you,most around here prefer angled but I prefer straight.I would suggest going to Sportsmans and llooking through a few and look at the critters at the other end of the store.

We have all heard that Swarro is the best, and in this ecomomy I really hoped tht I could buy US that was equal quality. Now I need to figure out the the angled vs straight thing.

It looks uncomfortable to use the angled vs straight. It seems that looking straight forward would be better, and the head down angled position, ready for a nap.

Thank you

Swarro 20-60x 65 or 20-60x 80 and straight vs angled which one?

thank you

Swarro 20-60x 65 or 20-60x 80 and straight vs angled which one?

thank you
    me personally the 20-60-80 simply cause in sheep country I want every advantage I can get... I dont mind the extra bulk if it helps me fill a hunters tag...

angled is actually supposed to be better ergonomics but I have tried both and still prefer the straight...

my suggestion still stands try both to see which you prefer prior to purchasing...lot of money to put out so make a wise of choice as possible...
    Last edited by Bear; 11-04-2012 at 16:34. Reason: content

I will take your advice. When I go to the store to look through the optics, any recomdation on how much time should I look through each one? Or do you think it will be a like vs dis like right away?

Thank you

The difference should be plainly obvious, even indoors, but if you can compare them outdoors with natural light and longer viewing distance, the difference is remarkable. Doubtful the box store will accommodate you, but a good mom and pop optics/camera store would likely set them up on the sidewalk outside the front door for you. Under those conditions, you can easily tell the difference between even the better optics, say Leica, Swarovski, and Zeiss for example. Trust me, seeing is believing.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Are there any stores that I should visit or do buisness with. Right before purchase, I will of course search the web.

that would depend on where you are.. I know Mr Stid speaks well of a camera place in Fairbanks, and I do believe there is a forum sponser(not exactly sure and Im on my phone so I will have to look later for ya)that has some competative prices.. I live in Anchorage area and sadly besides looking at them none of the local stores have earned my money so I bought off the net..
    dave

I will be relocating to Tok, I leave Maine on Dec 2nd. I will have trips to both Anchorage and Fairbanks. I hope that when Bass Pro or Cabelas opens they have good grand opening sales!

Thanks

There is a Sportsmans Warehouse in Fairbanks. They have a good selection of scopes you can check out. Easier drive from Tok also. Especially in the winter. If you know what you want, Cameraland NY, forum sponsor has great deals and service. Many of us have purchased from them.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Thank you.

My recommendation is a Leica 20-60 variable power with the 77 or 80mm objective (I can't remember the exact dimension of the objective lens). My personal preference is definitely the straight eyepiece. I can't seem to locate things well through the angled eyepiece but that is just me. The Swarro scopes are also very very good and you won't go wrong with either Leica or Swarovski. All other brands are inferior in my opinion. Don't forget to buy a good quality tripod. The best spotter in the world is useless if you can't see through it cause it wiggles in the wind on a tiny little flimsy tripod. I wouldn't waste a lot of time looking through them at the store. At the store they all look good but when you are looking at a ram over a mile away in the dusk, you will notice a big difference and you will be glad you dropped the coin on the best.

Safari, that you for your recommedation. Do you have a recommedation for a tripod?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast