Thread: my dads old ithica strikes again!

Talking my dads old ithica strikes again!

well i made it a personal goal to get out and make my dad proud this year, and id like to think i am!
    last weekend i went out in saerch of some birds and came across my first ruffed grouse that wanted to coperate! 3 second and 1 flush later, BOOM. i got him! by far the biggest most beautiful grouse i have ever taken...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Congrats Joe! Really nice bird!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Wow! Joe. That's a very nice grouse. Congratulations. If I were you, I'd save that tail fan so you can look at it when you are old and gray and want to remember that very first ruffed grouse. I'm thinking maybe next fall you should come up north and hunt them over my pointing dogs. Good shooting. I know your dad is proud. We are.

Jim

Very nice!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

thanks everyone!
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

and jim,
    i actualy saved the birds skin and froze it because i wanted somthing done with it... will a taxidermist do a grouse tail mount?
    ive never hunted over dogs, but that sounds lake a plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    Wow! Joe. That's a very nice grouse. Congratulations. If I were you, I'd save that tail fan so you can look at it when you are old and gray and want to remember that very first ruffed grouse. I'm thinking maybe next fall you should come up north and hunt them over my pointing dogs. Good shooting. I know your dad is proud. We are.

Jim

Don't need a taxidermist to mount the tail fan. Spread it out to nearly 180 degrees and push-pin it to a piece of cardboard. Salt or Borax the meaty portion. Let it dry for a week or two and you have a fine trophy for all times.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by joefish00000 View Post
    and jim,
    i actualy saved the birds skin and froze it because i wanted somthing done with it... will a taxidermist do a grouse tail mount?
    ive never hunted over dogs, but that sounds lake a plan!
    Seeing that you saved the skin, if you left the head on and you did a good job on the rest of him, you might consider a full mount of him strutting.....which means tail all puffed out too. If you've never seen a grouse strut it's stuff, they do look really cool doing that. Kinda like a miniature turkey....lol.

BTW......I used to shoot an Ithaca model 51 semi auto for years......great gun...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

yes i left head on and hes in really good shape. i have seen grouse strutting and they look awesome! i think ill do the tail mount idea

That's a beautiful bird joefish. Don't tell us your spot, but that looks like pretty open country for ruffs. What did you find in his crop?
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Good eats there! Nice job. And if I were you I'd take Jim up on that offer! Nothin like hunting upland birds over fine dogs
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Outstanding!

A Beautiful Harvest.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Nice bird I think your dad will be proud
    Hunt, Fish and drink beer with friends.........because life is to short to work all day.