Thread: alaskan hide quality?

Default alaskan hide quality?

hey guys,
    this topic im about to bring up has really been on my mind as trapping season comes into full swing. I am very new to trapping, and have only done 2 years of invested trapping. last spring was my most productive, i was able to catch 36 rats and 1 mink. these critters were the first water critters i had a hans on look at the fur. just as other more expeirenced trappers had warned me, i saw at the very end of the season, rats stared chewwing big time holes in there hides..
    so i have minimal experience with fur handleing and fur grading.
    my BIG QUESTION is what is the diffrence between ak fur and lower 48 fur?? on the trapperman forums, people are posting that they are starting to produce critter on there lines in the 48 very recently. so how is it that in michigan, rat season opens in october, and unit 14 opens nov 10?? it dosnt make sence to me.. if alaskan fur is way more luxurious and thicker, than why are people in the lower 48 catching gas money in october? are alaskans just more selective/picky when it come to a prime fur? and how dose the time of season really end up affetcting your fur quality and sale price?? same applies for coyotes, fox, bobcat... i mean seriously, is it possible to profit off a texas bobcat!
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Water animals are not effected by the Alaskan cold like land animals. Good water species furs are more location dependant than north or south. Tho as you get out of the freeze belt water animals fur does get less thick. New York state has some of the best rats. Colr also plays a role in price.

Season opening dates are as much of a political point as when the fur is good. Remember, season length may be used to control the harvest also.

It is certainly possible to profit off a texas bobcat. The cat market wants spots and silky bellies. Some of those Tx cats have cool spot patterns. The commercial market is not the only place to sell fur.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

yea i figured the seasons would have some political influence..
    intersting...
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)