Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I Missing Something?

Question Am I Missing Something?

We were doing some scouting N of Fairbanks today and we noticed something that I just want to clear up. Can you post a trail or area with a sign that says "Bear Bait, Stay Out" with no ADF&G registration? Or are folks putting signs at the trail entrance and then posting the registration at the stand, or just staking claim without registering? I have my registration about 20 yrds from my stand at the most likely ATV approach so that it will be easy to notice from a distance.
    We did not go down any trails that were marked with said sign because we dont want to tread on anyone's "Privately Owned State Trail" but out of the ten or so we saw, none of them had the ADF&G registration.
    Lesson learned! If there is a road or trail, bait stands are about 1/8 of a mile apart after a certain point up the Elliot. We took the hard route today and put(moved) stands where there is no trails within a couple miles. It was a challenge that involved roll overs and slow movements. Definitely not as easy to carry stands and gear when you are bustin your own trails. Hopefully it works. Thanks in advance for comments.

MFG

P.S. Maybe a dumb question but I will ask anyway. If there are alot of moose in an area, will blackies be around or pressured out by the moose?

Am I missing something?

What are the rules on bear baits and trails?

Was it the standard "Bait station" warning or a custom sign? I think some folks are under the impression that they need to give warning of their station at great distances. We posted ours within sight of the station and I don't think the registration number was on it. The registration card with hunting license numbers is actually near our ground blind.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Bustedknee,

It says, "Before you set up a bait station, you must register at an ADF&G office. You will get a sign to post at your station. If you choose not to use this sign, you must place some other sign that clearly identifies the site as a "Black Bear Bait Station," and displays the bear baiting permit number assigned by ADF&G. your hunting license number and hunting license numbers of others who hunt over the bait.

Thanks for the class. I know the regs. I appreciate the SAC.
    Last edited by MooseFlyinGoggles; 04-29-2007 at 11:18. Reason: had to

[quote=AKmud;96999]Was it the standard "Bait station" warning or a custom sign? /quote]

Most were custom made with no registration numbers or licence numbers.

The sign with the permit number and the license number is only required to be posted at the bait site itself. If a person is trying to go the extra mile to prevent user-group conflicts or increase safety they may post other warning signs at their discretion. The signs you saw were likely an effort to prevent someone from accidentally walking into a bear.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Thanks bgreen. That was the kind of answer I was lookin for. If that is common practice then I understand.

Or it was someone who just wanted to keep others out period. I have come accross no tresspassing signs on state land, tents in the middle of the atv trail to try and keep others from using it, a tarp strung up in the woods a week before hunting season to "reserve" the spot, etc.

"Bear Bait Stay Out" sounds like one of those if you ask me. Hunter etiquette is one thing but "staking a claim" to public land is another.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by bgreen View Post
    The sign with the permit number and the license number is only required to be posted at the bait site itself. If a person is trying to go the extra mile to prevent user-group conflicts or increase safety they may post other warning signs at their discretion. The signs you saw were likely an effort to prevent someone from accidentally walking into a bear.
    I like to post my warning signs about 200 yards or so from the bait in order to give a margin of safety in case a brownie is on the bait and somebody is approaching. 100 yards seems too close, and posting at the trailhead might invite vandals or otherwise advertise my hunting spot.

I'm sure people post such signs with the intent of keeping people out of "their" woods. I've done it myself; kinda' sorta':

I built a wonderful moose camp at a spot where few tread. It's a non-motorized use area, and tough to get in to. I half-buried a 55 gallon overpack barrel nearby and store gear in it; tarps, rope, flares, a camp chair, and other such things. I've put quite a bit of work on the site, including a meat hanging rack fitted with rope pulleys. While few go into this area, I was sure I'd run into someone there eventually who might try the "this is my old camp" BS (I've run into this before, several times). So I posted a sign at the site. It has no legal power, and the first jerk who wanted to could tear the sign down and burn it.

But notice is served. If someone wants to be an ***hole, I'll feel a little better about out-***holing him by camping nearby and turning the radio on full blast...........

This brings up an interesting topic. Its no secret that there are probably close to 50 bear baits (maybe more) in the atv accessible areas north of Fairbanks. A lot of guys put there baits right along the ATV trail ( I saw that last week) and maybe they are putting these additional signs stating that there is a bear bait in the area so that a guy doesn't plop out a bait nearby to theirs. The other aspect is guys like me and others I know that will put a bait 50-100 yards off of a trail that I use to access the bait which without additional signs doesn't really let anyone know that the bait is even there. Its getting harder and harder all the time guys as more and more of us venture into the woods, we just need to be considerate of each other and understand that somebody beat you to the area you are scouting and move on to better less crowded ground. I mentioned on another post that I found 5 bear baits last week while looking for a new spot. I just kept at it till I found an area that I had some room. It'll all work out in the end if we respect each other and dont squat on each other, especially intentionally squatting which I have seen in the past.

Mark,

You said post a warning sign 200 yards before the station, in case a brownie is on the bait. I'm hunting with Moose and we both plan to hunt with our kids, 10-14 years old. Are Grizzlies a problem, even if we ride ATVs to within 40-60 yards of our stands? Also, I've heard it's best to try and scare off Grizzlies, but we'd like to get some pictures too. Can you, or anyone else reading this, steer us in the right direction? Thanks.

Don't screw around with those grizzlys. A grizzly protecting food is very dangerous and territorial, and the best idea is to put a shot or 2 in the ground between it's feet to scare it off. A moments hesitation to take a picture could be the last thing you do. I strongly recomend that any grizzlys on bait are immediatley scared away. If you're in the stand when a griz comes you may be able to take a picture, but if it leaves before you get the chance to scare it, the bear could be there waiting the next time you come to replenish bait. For me it's not worth the risk, especially if I'm looking out for someone else. I think your best bet is to knock on wood and hope you only see blacks.

-Eric

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by KWP View Post
    Mark,

You said post a warning sign 200 yards before the station, in case a brownie is on the bait. I'm hunting with Moose and we both plan to hunt with our kids, 10-14 years old. Are Grizzlies a problem, even if we ride ATVs to within 40-60 yards of our stands?
    A grizzly on the bait with you on the ground is a BIG problem.

As you know, brown bears cannot be taken over bait.

I know of three DLP shootings of brown bears at bait stations over the past few years. The Anchorage Daily News loves these stories. They published two of them. The more they get, the more danger bear baiting will be in, because they will publish each and every one. They don't like bear baiting, and they will never relent.

I'm thinking that many brown bears might retreat at the sound of an ATV coming down the trail. But brown bears can get attitutes, especially when they think they're guarding "their" food.

Also, I've heard it's best to try and scare off Grizzlies, but we'd like to get some pictures too. Can you, or anyone else reading this, steer us in the right direction?
    If you're safely in a tree stand, take the photos. Enjoy.

If I get a brown bear on my bait, I'll abandon it until cleanup at the end of the season (when there will virtually be nothing left to clean up).

My bear baiting permit class made mention of this very thing and suggested that we use barrels with small holes and bait that would be too tedious for a griz/brown to bother with. This would keep the browns off the bait, decreasing chance of conflict, and keep the blacks engaged longer to increase your chances of a successfull kill.

Sounded good to me, what do you all think?
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

At one of my stations I use a barrel with a bunch of small holes in it. Just large enough for a bear to get it's tounge into. The bears can't eat as much bait, and does keep them engaged for a long time. The station of mine if fairly new, and I haven't had much activity on it, so it will be interesting to see what happens this year. I know I have to pay for less dog food, which is a bonus.

-Eric

For those of you that think that a small hole is gonna keep a brown bear from your bait sure havent seen what a big griz can do to a 55 gallon drum, steel or poly makes no difference. A big hungry pissed off griz can do destruction like you would not imagine and if one gets frustrated with your bait you'll know it. I have seen them do destruction in ways that I sit there evaluating what once was a bear bait and think to myself , "holy sh%% how did he do this" their raw power is extremely impressive. If one comes into the bait and sticks around long enough for you to take some pics enjoy it, bumping into one on the way in cant be much fun. I usually abandon a bait that has a griz on it that isn't just eating but, doing destruction, theys 2 different bears. The ones that come in and eat and then move on arent the bad ones, the bad ones are the ones that like to play bulldozer with the bait station and stick around. I had my 8 year old boy with me last spring when I went in to check a buddies bait and it had been completely destroyed to the point that I thought a piece of heavy equipment had been in there, being with the little one (my boy) and looking at 7"-7 1/2 " griz pads in the mud always makes me a little nervous with the thick canopy of mid june and little visibility distance wise.

Default Abandon baits

I would not abandon the bait just because a brown bear .I have had brown bears and black bears come into the bait.It is a bear bait.The brown bears are fun to watch.They are very impressive.They do get me a little nerved up.

Default Bears and moose

For your second question...
    When moose calving starts, the bears will be seeking out areas of moose in order to locate and kill calves. Aside from not wanting to get kicked or worse by the cow moose, avoidance of moose won't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MooseFlyinGoggles View Post
    Bustedknee,

...Thanks for the class. I know the regs. I appreciate the SAC.

How about this one?

...Bait stations must be located at least 1/4 mile from publicly maintained roads or trails, and at least one mile from residences, seasonal-use cabins, campgrounds or other developed recreational areas...

http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index...rhunt.bearbait

Busted,

Maybe I am not seeing what your point is. Again I know what the reg says. If you are talkin about the 1/4 mile from publicly MAINTAINED trails, there is nothing maintained or public about the trails in question. Not really the point I was gettin at. So again, thanks anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast