Thread: Kodiak S. end deer census?

Default Kodiak S. end deer census?

Was curious if anyone has returned from the south end of Kodiak and cares to give a report on the deer population. Moslty wondering about Olga Bay, Moser Bay, and Deadman Bay area. Not looking for specific locations just personal observations in a general area. Thanks for the help, Justin

Just got back yesterday. I can tell you that the winter kill was significant. No mature bucks were seen. I saw about half the number of deer I have in the past several years. We killed our deer but they were all 2-3yr olds. I think they will recover if the winters are decent. Don't count on being able to pick and choose the bucks like in years past. It was still a fun hunt but the numbers are down for sure....

Thanks for the feed back and glad you still had fun. Might just wait till next year and then.

Default Kodiak S. end deer census?

I've seen pics of some monsters taken this year from the south end, their out there, just tougher to find. I'm heading south next week, I'll report back on what I find

Just got back from the southwest side and seen over 50+ deer and some nice bucks to,just wish I had more time to hunt them.Winter kill didnt hurt them there.Dang bear took up most of the trip.Only had a day and a half to hunt deer,got to fork horns and a nice 3 point.

I hunted for a week in Uyak, Zacher and Spiridon third week in oct and I agree w/ Finley. We got deer but lots of young ones and no mature bucks. I am sure they are out there but not as plentiful as past several years.

Thanks for the feed back everyone. Kotton that is a very nice boar! Nice work.

typically the big bucks are the one that surivive the winter and younger deer are dead..so if your seeing younger deer, just keep hunting, TYPICIALLY the big ones are around....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Just got back last week from Deadman Bay. We hunted on foot from the public use cabin for 5 days. We did not even see deer and very, very, very little sign!

Birdstrike I sent you a PM please give me a call when have some free time.

Jake I am with ya on the big bucks. Also going to test out for my Guide Lic in March. You mind if I PM you some questions later on this winter. Thanks, Justin