Thread: Stitch and glue dry boxes

Default Stitch and glue dry boxes

Here is a couple dry boxes I made for a small raft.
    Might not be a bad alternative to aluminum.

Those look beautiful... and functional!!! win/win!!! What type of plywood is that? marine? What glue are you using? Did you just make these or have you used them yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Colby Jack View Post
    Those look beautiful... and functional!!! win/win!!! What type of plywood is that? marine? What glue are you using? Did you just make these or have you used them yet?
    Thank you colbyjack,
    Marine ply, 4mm bottom, sides and 6mm tops.
    system three epoxy for glue.
    i have not used them yet.
    i have a new 12 foot sotar that I am working on a rowing frame for that these boxes will be used for.
    oyster

Dreams of days past- Back in the 70's, before aluminum boxes and self-bailing rafts, we would build our boxes out of marine plywood and coat with spar varnish as we did with our ash oars. Pre carlise and glass oars. Took a lot of pride to make them with the same lip and rubber, to keep the water out. Great design. as we did the "pup-deck" suspended from our wooden frames to keep gear off the floor. Worked wonderfully. These in the photos are a class above what we made-- used the best glue we had back then. Worked on the Middle fork ,Selway, Clark fork and all the wonderful rivers in Montana and Idaho. Even built them for the the great Walt Blackadar when I started "MADDOG RIVERWORKS" out of Lolo MT. in 1978-
    Beautiful work!! keep it flowing!!
    We ran some BIG water even back then, before NRS was even born. Just learn how the river flows!!
    Safe boating,
    Goo

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    Dreams of days past- Back in the 70's, before aluminum boxes and self-bailing rafts, we would build our boxes out of marine plywood and coat with spar varnish as we did with our ash oars. Pre carlise and glass oars. Took a lot of pride to make them with the same lip and rubber, to keep the water out. Great design. as we did the "pup-deck" suspended from our wooden frames to keep gear off the floor. Worked wonderfully. These in the photos are a class above what we made-- used the best glue we had back then. Worked on the Middle fork ,Selway, Clark fork and all the wonderful rivers in Montana and Idaho. Even built them for the the great Walt Blackadar when I started "MADDOG RIVERWORKS" out of Lolo MT. in 1978-
    Beautiful work!! keep it flowing!!
    We ran some BIG water even back then, before NRS was even born. Just learn how the river flows!!
    Safe boating,
    Goo
    thanks goo,
    It kind of makes me want to build a frame out of 2x's like back when.
    but I am doing one out of 1.25 x .125 aluminum square tube to try and keep it as light as i can.
    i will post photos of the whole kit when I can get her done.
    But santa is already calling for some help on some other things so it might be a bit.
    oyster