Thread: Hunting Rabbits with a dog

Chugiak, Alaska

Default Hunting Rabbits with a dog

Anyone seeing any good amounts of rabbit sign or bunnies? I am training a new pup and looking for a few good places to run rabbits. I am in the Anchorage/Valley area but willing to travel. I also have a place up near Delta J so I guess I am open to positive suggestions. I have been out on the Knik and the Jim Lakes area and it looks pretty slim out there this season. Thanks Duckdon

Just about any where along the Glenn Hwy can be productive, however this year we are leaving the bunnies alone due to low numbers. We went to our honey hole last month and only saw only a few where we usually will see numbers in the 30s to 50s. Getting similar reports from others as well. We always move around over a 20-30 mile stretch of road and never over-hunt a single area. My hunting buddy has a beagle and we have been training him since he was a pup. He is almost 4 now and he has got it figured out. Last year we got about 60 rabbits over the course of 4 weekends. We took all the meat in to Pioneer Meats in Wasilla and all of it turned in to pepper sticks! Very tasty. Good luck!

Theres always quite a few near the soccer fields on Clarks road in Anchorage. I believe that is open to rabbit hunting, with air rifle, dog or falconry. Check the regs. There's also quite a few coyote's up in the Hiland road area. I have to assume they're eating rabbits, but it's been a while since I was up there in the winter.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6