Thread: "Broomed"

Default "Broomed"

In the sheep judging seminar thread it was mentioned a couple times that folks don't have a good sense for brooming. Obviously the broken or blunt horns are a given but what about the 'polished' broomed horns that we so often see confused with lamb tips?

So let's see some photos of rams that are broomed but still exhibit a nicely tapered horn tip! Any discussion to go along with it?
    Last edited by iturner8; 11-02-2012 at 16:29. Reason: omission

A co-worker showed me pix of a sheep that was determined legal by age at 11+ years. The horns had been broken such that the ends were larger diameter than a full growd mans wrist - he said that the bio said it was not broken. There were chips and dings all over it and it was definately broken IMO....but not according to the bio.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl on Jun 14 2005

Broomed means broken

A broomed ram is one that has broken the ends of the horns, usually due to horn clashes with other rams. The tips of horns naturally wear down to various degrees from rubbing on the ground while feeding, etc. This does not constitute brooming.
    There you have it. Doesn't seem it would be so difficult to understand that it's been a recurrent subject here for at least 8 years.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I started the following thread back in July - it has some pretty good info and pictures in it:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead?highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    There you have it. Doesn't seem it would be so difficult to understand that it's been a recurrent subject here for at least 8 years.
    It's not that it is difficult to understand but rather that it can be difficult to judge, particularly under field conditions. Hells bells look at some of the ridiculous calls in Brian M's link re broken, full curl, etc reportedly made by f&g at sealing time; and with horns in hand at that!
    I will just repeat something an old sheep guide told me years ago: " if you have to look that hard (to determine legality), better go find another one"

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    A co-worker showed me pix of a sheep that was determined legal by age at 11+ years. The horns had been broken such that the ends were larger diameter than a full growd mans wrist - he said that the bio said it was not broken. There were chips and dings all over it and it was definately broken IMO....but not according to the bio.
    That's absolutely ridiculous.......any bio that doesn't think a ram's lamb tip the size of a man's wrist was not broken at some time does not deserve to have the title. And I would add that he must be so delusional that he should have his head examined to boot.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Shoot, not sure how the other thread slipped by this summer. What sparked my curiousity were some posts by 4merguide bringing up the scenario of lamb tips being broken at some point early in the ram's life, then polished to a point, albeit a blunt point. From that last thread, the photo posted by 'Barbo' appears to be in this category. F&G says broken, others disagreed. Sounds like the take-home message here is to not trust those broken tips but to find a secondary legal criteria. This likely means more legally broken, sub-full rams are being passed up but obviously that is preferred over the alternative! Thanks guys, I appreciate the great information.

Quote Originally Posted by iturner8 View Post
    So let's see some photos of rams that are broomed but still exhibit a nicely tapered horn tip!
    Like so?

F&G didn't even blink an eye at the 'double broom' status of this ram...