Thread: leaving tomorrow for chugiak which route

Default leaving tomorrow for chugiak which route

Hello all,

after alot of delays we are leaving tomorrow from Seattle to move to chugiak. I was planning on taking the route that when out to fort nelson because if looked like it would be easier driving however I was told today that the 37 would be the better way to go because the road was better I will be driving a Jeep liberty Diesel with 4 kids and a few pets and a 6x12 uhaul. I have to start my new job by the 12th so I am hoping to make it by sometime friday at latest. anyway thank you for any input I am off to see if i can find the milepost locally have not had much luck yet.

Carl

Default leaving tomorrow for chugiak which route

Ive always gone through Ft Nelson so I'm of no help. I do recommend carrying atleast 30 gallons of fuel and extra fuel additive to combat any gelling from subzero temps.

There are not as many fuel stops during winter.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Cassiar Hwy #37. is 400 miles shorter but right in the mts. Driving diesel is a + as its a trucker route. Still long distance between fuel and supplies so plan ahead. If you take this route write back a report of your trip.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i would strap a snow shovel to the front bumper, and head south, until someone asked you ... " whats that?"
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

We did the Cassiar once a few years back at XMAS time and it was a real challenge, deep snow on the road for most of the trip. Be prepared.

been several years but personally I would rather double the distance then drive the cassier in the winter...just my opinion of course

Took the cassiar one time. Never again will I do it when trying to make time. It was shorter mileage wise but the same amount of driving time. I would not do it if I were you.

thanks guys, found a milepost and I am taking the 97 route. was what I had planned first and what you all said tells me I am on the right track.

thanks
    carl

Quote Originally Posted by huntinhick View Post
    thanks guys, found a milepost and I am taking the 97 route. was what I had planned first and what you all said tells me I am on the right track.

thanks
    carl

Carl enjoy the ride it is a beautiful scenery packed drive. As stated just be prepared for winter..sleep bags spare food.. all the necessities incase you get stuck on the road..being prepared can mean the difference between an inconvience and an emergency

Default Re: leaving tomorrow for chugiak which route

I did the drive with a haul trailer in Jan. Of 2010. My recommendations would be to have good studded or snow tires, and carry extra fuel.
    It is a beautiful drive.

Robert

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

stop @ Liard hot springs for a good soak or 2. even if the gate is pulled you can walk in just park across the road. This is a must stop lay over.

Forgot to add beware of animals on the road especially big ones like bison up on the norther part of the road. And give the moose a break and don't try to force them by driving up on them they will move just need to be patient

When did the cassier get 400 miles shorter?

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Cassiar Hwy #37. is 400 miles shorter but right in the mts. Driving diesel is a + as its a trucker route. Still long distance between fuel and supplies so plan ahead. If you take this route write back a report of your trip.
    Actually, the Cassiar is only about 130 miles shorter (only about 2-3 hours depending on road conditions). I would not choose that route just to save time. The truckers use the longer route for a reason, it is much more heavily used and better supported if things go wrong.

Wikipedia is full of B.S. That"s where that 400 miles came from. That did seam to be more than I thought.

Drove down to Washinton and back end of September. Crossed the border at Sumas, WA. The Alaska highway was in the best shape I've ever seen it since my first drive in 1976.
    Diesel is pricey, hitting close to $6 a gallon in the most expensive places. Price drops once you hit Alaska.

Leave WA with a full tank and plan on hitting Tok, AK, to refuel. Couple noticeable places to eat are Fast Eddies in Tok and a small place just after you cross the Laird River. Fill up when you get down to 1/2 tank and you will not have any issues with finding fuel. If the roads are covered with ice and snow do not take the loop that steers you around Dawson City. You save a few miles by taking the loop but there are several long up and down hills with really sharp curves. Not worth the 30 minutes you might save. Besides, there are lots of places to stop and eat or rest in Dawson City. Don't use USA currency. Either convert your money before hand and use a CC and then pay the stupid foriegn conversions fee's.

Good luck, drive slow, and enjoy the scenery.

well the kids and I made it to Chugiak in 4 days. we would have made a little better time but we blew a tire on our uhaul on the stretch between Fort nelson and watson lake. we had to pull the trailer out about 50 miles on 3 tires and had to stay over night waiting for the repair from uhaul. got to say the guide post does give very good info. as we were trying to make the best time we could we did not take time to see much. we had to use our gas can one night because my credit union did not read the note we put in saying we would be traveling so the shut it off for fraud protection! the border station coming into Canada was rude to us because we used birth certificates instead of passports. we called before hand to verify it was okay as we were pressed for time. then coming into Alaska the U.S. customs gave us the same hassle but friendlier. I had to tell her a couple times that I had checked on it and that the head quarters was the one that said it was ok. having my retired military I.D. and retirement orders helped I am sure. some things for people trying it for the first time, make sure you bring stuff to clean your head lights and tail lights like bottled water and paper towels the roads are dirty! don't try it with out the milepost and bring stuff to sleep in your car if you get tired.

Carl

Welcome to Alaska!

Birth Certificates instead of Passports...... never heard of that.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Welcome to Alaska ! Good to hear you all had a safe trip.

Welcome and thank you for your service!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"