• Double Long Springs

2 10.53%
  • Single Long Springs

0 0%
  • Coil Springs

6 31.58%
  • Snares

7 36.84%

Thread: Poll: What type of traps do you use?

Default Poll: What type of traps do you use?

Would be curious to see what types of traps we use. I've been trapping most of my life, and not matter what new comes out, I always go back to using double long springs. I like them from the smallest to the largest sizes.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

My favorits are,
    Lynx- #3 long springs, #3 coils
    fox/coyote- #3 coils, snares
    Marten/mink- #1 jumps, 110's
    otter- 330's
    Beaver- snares
    wolf- #9's, 750's, snares

I'm a new member so i can't vote, but this is a good subject. I like conibears for the instant kill, jump traps for the performance, and snares for the economy. i'm only on my third year trapping though.

Denalihunter-I'm curious, why do you prefer the double longspring over newer stuff?

I prefer them because I've used them so long for one. I think they hold well, way better than the single springs. Coil springs have a tendency to freeze up, and are hard to set in the field. I like the fact that my 9 yr old son can set them with ease, compared to coil springs or single springs. Most of my trapping is done at near or below zero temps. I never liked the pelt damage I see from connibears or snares. Connibears are just a pain (at least for me) to set. Dangerous too, for a 9 yr old running the line on his own, IMO. If they made a double long spring in a jump, I might look into something like that, but I've not had in all my years any issue with where I catch my animals too low on the leg with reg double long's. I'd be concerned a jump trap might get into the body on a marten.

And if any of you guys want to get rid of any size double long spring's, I'll take em! They are getting harder and harder to find.

Claude

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

about 1/4 way at this point...

combined with the 80 snares i have built this year.. iu like the coil springs as i can sit them on my knee to set. and at 210... i am BARLY big enough to set my doubles by hand...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Prepping for trapping!

Picture of Bob sitting by the traps in the skinning shed. I have 4 dozen more double long spring's coming, and a lot of trap dye!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11 2 12 038 (3).jpg  

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    Picture of Bob sitting by the traps in the skinning shed. I have 4 dozen more double long spring's coming, and a lot of trap dye!
    nice... kids and i just finished all of ours... i had 6 traps as of oct 1... now.. well if she knew... i wouldn't be able to walk to go trapping... took me several batches ... one member gave me some... some i purchased new... and last week bought out a fur dealer in Anch at $4 each..

lots of dye... DANG that wax is expensive too... got lucky on my chain though... walked into lowes in ANCh.. found the CHEAPEST stuff and asked for 300'.... they were out of it bar 16 ft.. so i got the one i really wanted, but didn't want to afford, for the cost of the el-cheapo...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I use mostly northwoods #3's and I have some victor #4 longsprings too, for marten I have sleepycreek #1 longsprings and sleepycreek 120's, for beaver I use belisle 330 mags. I like the longsprings for lynx but they take up more space so I can't carry as many traps as I can of the coilsprings. I make my own snares for lynx and fox..........

I use everything, just depends on the animal..

I can't get enough of my snares though, I make 1/16 micro lock snares. We dip them white/brown and they are DEADLY. They'll take just about everything but wolves and I can carry big quantities and Its all lightweight. Snares are easily accountable for 90% of mine and teachermans catches.. They can't avoid what they can't see..

Well let me see. For beaver and otter under ice I use body gripping traps the most. For beaver and otter on open water I like 48 Newhouse. For Linx I use a 44 Blake and Lamb for its wide jaw spread. For mink I like the 1-1/2 coil spring. For wolf, coyote and fox I like snares. For Marten and wolverine I like the body gripping trap. Muskrat I like the standard #1 single long spring. There is a lot of other traps I use but that is the bread and butter.

Claude,

The poll only allows to pick one...I need to check all <grin>. I first started trapping after marten, and learned from another trapper that #0 single longsprings were the lightest traps to carry that worked well on pole sets. Indeed they work fine if you set them right. From there have gotten all kinds of traps, including some I've found out in the woods that old-timers have left out, man I do not ever want to get caught in a #4 Newhouse <grin>.

A friend wrote an article for ATA magazine (last year I think), about deadfall traps...pretty cool what you can do too without steel or wire, a lost art for sure. It all works, just a matter of what we may come across or have handed down, definitely for kids some traps are a lot easier (or harder) to deal with...my kids had a heck of a time with the 120 conis when younger just squeezing one spring down to get the dog on...not to mention then squeezing the other to set the trap. Had to make a string system wrapped around to pull them tight.

You guys catching beaver under the ice with snares are doing well, that is getting to be a lost art as well.

I like #3 and #4 jumps for lynx, fox,and coyotes, I love how the big jaw spread reaches up through the snow and how they dont have 2 big long springs to hide, 110s and #1 coilsprings for little critters(mink, muskrat and marten) for the weight and size, but I mostly rely on snares, (90 percent of my catch is because of those) made from 3/32 cable (.15 cents a foot) #9 or #12 wire and most importantly a THOMPSON lock.( you can keep washers, cam locks and whatever else isnt a thompson, makes it easy to keep a circle not that tear drop)

If you chps will let a lower 48 jump in I would like to know if anyone has used the Duke brand traps? I sold mine a few years back to help finance a moose hunt as I had not trapped in many years, had right at 600 traps that went. I saved a cpl dozen 1 1/2 coils - mostly Montgomerys, and some new 330's. Well, I found a new partner age 14 in the neighbors grandson and he is eager to learn, so today we managed to get out 11 sets for coon, coyote, fox but I could only find 1 220 trap. I see some Dukes I can buy but I don't know anything about the brand? Anybody got any input?
    If I could pick only 1 trap for here in IL it would be the 1.75 coil spring for a leghold - 220's worked great for lonlining coons!
    Unfortunatly we can't snare here, for a muddy state they work great!Keeping ground sets working can suck if it rains alot....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

This poll is unfare I use them all in different situations. I use snares, conis and footholds for beaver but primarily conis in the open water and snares through the ice. I use snares and footholds for fox, coyote and wolves but mostly snares, I use conis for otter and mink & footholds for marten. scratching my head trying to decide If i had to pick one what would it be ??
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Anybody use offset jaw legholds for coyote and fox? Good bad points???
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Offset jaws allow the trap levers to go higher providing a better hold on hard fighting animals like coyotes