Thread: Can you really only use one or two dogs?

Default Can you really only use one or two dogs?

So I have a Husky mix around 50 lbs (never been weighed just an estimate) and I was looking at Skijoring and was just wondering if I built a home made dog sled could I use just one dog for short distances? I was thinking mostly just around biglake which is mostly flat with some hills. My dog loves to run but listens pretty good and doesnt just run off but when ever I take her for a walk shes trying to drag me lol. I took a walk with her the other day, 3 miles round trip and she was pulling the entire time. So this had me thinking " I bet she would love skijoring or pulling a sled"

I use to have neighbors who had sled teams but have moved long ago and really dont know any one who runs a team or has ran a team any more. I thought about trying to find another dog, maybe one who knows the commands also. Again, im not looking into doing any long runs just mostly maybe run a few miles around home for fun with the dog and kids.

Any words of advice on this?

Lol, 80 views not a single response.

Not a lot of mushers on the forum! lol. We get a ton of mushers at the lodge and we have asked them about how many dogs to pull my son around on the trapline in a small sled. Most all said 2 dogs will work fine for this. We have personally seen a lot of skijorers make it all the way to the lodge 65 miles with one dog. Some have two dogs. I have heard of folks using 3 and 4 dogs for adult sizes doing a lot of miles. I bet you could look up any musher and send them an email and get a good answer. Good luck! Sounds like fun.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

wow skijore back 65 miles with one dog! Thats quite the little trek!

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    Not a lot of mushers on the forum! lol. We get a ton of mushers at the lodge and we have asked them about how many dogs to pull my son around on the trapline in a small sled. Most all said 2 dogs will work fine for this. We have personally seen a lot of skijorers make it all the way to the lodge 65 miles with one dog. Some have two dogs. I have heard of folks using 3 and 4 dogs for adult sizes doing a lot of miles. I bet you could look up any musher and send them an email and get a good answer. Good luck! Sounds like fun.
    Thanks, I know we have quite a few mushers around Biglake I just dont know any of them personally. Like I said, i dont want a huge team so if 3 or 4 can do an adult over a fairly large run then that would be perfect. I would have to convince my wife I need 2 or 3 more dogs LOL. I will have to look around online and see if there is any kind of Mushers groups around here.

O and thanks for the response

We are working on surprising Bob with a couple of dogs and small sled this year. The mushers always have retired dogs or young dogs that can't make the teams, so you can usually get good dogs from them that are already harnessed and command trained. I would be way more comfortable with him checking his trapline with dogs rather than a snow machine. Dogs will always make it back!

Yeah, the skijorers are amazing how far they go. The best one we seen this summer was two people unicycling the highway, with one dog each pulling them around. I'm not sure what kind of balance that unicycling a gravel road, with a dog pullling you needs, but it has to be incredible!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Well, Im looking to build a homemade sled, nothing fancy just something 1-4 dogs can pull down local trails. I seen some on Craigs list 3 for $200 and I would jump on them but have some home repairs and vehicle repair I need to do first. So im sure by the time those are done those sleds will most likely be gone. So unless they arnt I figure I will make something that I can fit me on the back and either 2 kids or some gear (ice fishing stuff most likely) into.

If I can get my hands on a sled or make one I will probably keep my eyes out for at least one more dog, preferably one that is already trained and ready to go weather it be an older dog or a Younger dog like you were saying. If then maybe get a couple more dogs later. Im not planning on doing the Iditarod lol

Speaking of which, been looking and not to many homemade dog sleds or plans show up when I look it up. I seen enough to give me some ideas though.

I'm out of town and not staying on top of the Directory forums. Two dogs are a great way to start. A small sled is good and some people use a kicksled. Ask on sleddogcentral.com for plans. Also, you can look at pictures of professional sled builders websites. Cody Strathe of DogPaddleDesigns near Fairbanks is building small toboggans, but he uses pretty high-tech materials and his sleds aren't cheap. Also, check craigslist - used sleds are listed all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    I'm out of town and not staying on top of the Directory forums. Two dogs are a great way to start. A small sled is good and some people use a kicksled. Ask on sleddogcentral.com for plans. Also, you can look at pictures of professional sled builders websites. Cody Strathe of DogPaddleDesigns near Fairbanks is building small toboggans, but he uses pretty high-tech materials and his sleds aren't cheap. Also, check craigslist - used sleds are listed all the time.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Im going to go check out that sleddogcentral.com right now. Thanks

Dog Sled, or kick sled for sale. Have 2 of them, never used. Aluminum with teflon runners, power coated, and adjustable for height. Very light weight, perfect for one or two dogs. $250 each or 2/$475 373 6208IMG_1516.jpg
    Wasilla