Thread: Afognak Elk

Default Afognak Elk

I am starting my research into Elk hunting down on Kodiak before I apply for a drawing permit....

Anyone have any good info on Elk hunting down there? I have been to Kodiak for Bear and Deer but never for Elk....

Any insights would be greatly appreicated... thanks

Lots and lots and lots of private land, and a native corp that doesn't like people there. Lots of elk too apparently
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

shot one on upper malina lake a few years back, tough hunt, elk were all really high, lots and lots of people on malina due to the amount of money the natives charge locals to hunt elk on their land. malina lakes was a public use area, saw 141 elk, no bulls and all in one herd. biggest mistake...no fishing pole. the dollies were unreal and the silvers were packed in the river between the two lakes. pretty place...i had an any elk tag, and the eating was terrific!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Afognak failure

I hunted there last year and only saw 3 elk in 7 days. Tried to hunt by overlooking the logged areas. Mistake. Every time I tried to make a stalk I immediately lost sight of the game. The underfoot in the logged areas are like nature's concertina wire. Very difficult to traverse the underbrush, and noisy.
    Good luck.

BRWNBR.... When were you in the area?? late fall, early winter?? do they move down with the cold/snow??

Default Raspberry

I did the Raspberry Island portion of this hunt last year. I did not even see an Elk, which I might attribute to luck, but I talked to two other parties on the island for the same hunt and they called the air service to pull them out early because there were not seeing anything. I would stay away from Raspberry.

i belive i was mid oct. wasn't even close to freezing at night yet, but i still had soem daylight to work with and the leaves were all down, if i had it to do again, i'd go the same place, and just walk the lake and talk to the other camps each day, fish the lake and creeks with a float tube and glass up.
    last time i went up and glassed down..moron. ended up spotting the herd from the tent my second to last day there. keep in mind when a gun goes off they ball up like a herd of muskox, becarefull what you shoot at!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Afognak elk

I had a couple friends who flew into Kitoi Lake and hunted elk on Duck Mountain this year. They both scored early and had to wait a couple days for their pickup. They hung their meat high, but had bears in their camp from the get go. They also said that if anyone tells you brownies don't climb trees to tell them they are crazy. They lost quite a bit of their meat and spent some sleepless nights until they were picked up. They told me it's hard to sleep when you can hear bears crunching on bones outside your tent.

The last comment was..... If I ever hunt elk again, it's going to be in Colorado.

Default re

I just got back from Afognak bear hunting. We saw more dead elk than live elk. Those bears are just hammering the elk this spring. We also saw just one deer. Good for spring bear, bad for fall elk hunting.

My GF works at Kitoi By starting thursday, I'l
    l see if I can get updates of the heard around there
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Afognak Elk

Hunted near Laura Lake on Eastern Afognak this past October. Lots of elk sign (old) - but saw none, and no responses to calling/bugling of any kind. Lots of bear sign (fresh) - got attacked by one (9 footer, good bar story). The trees are thick, the clear cuts are oxymoron, and the deadfalls are like pungee sticks. Blacktails were few and far between. I will only ever go back there if 1) I have a bear tag 2) I bring a fishing pole (the most frequent sound we heard was of 24in+ fish smacking the water when they leapt). I know three people who have taken elk off Afognak, all were take from the Malina lake area, and all three said it was a very tough hunt, because the elk are high.

I was on Raspberry and Afognak the fall of 2004. This sounds obvious, but the first thing you need to do is find the elk, and that might translate to a good bit of hiking, much of it up. It seemed like a lot of the people would just hunt from the boat, and it tough to kill elk with your feet on the deck. On Raspberry, the elk we saw were usually in one herd on a specific end of the island. Every now and then we would see groups of bachelor bulls. But we would go straight up to the tops everyday and glass, we put on a lot of miles and a lot of elevation.
    On Agognak, I was only on the Southwest end of the island, and we would walk the valleys hoping to run into them and then go up top to gain a vantage point and glass. It is by no means an impossible hunt, and every now and then you might find elk close to the beach, but for the most part, we never saw elk that could be seen from the water. We also rarely if ever saw any other hunters inland. The rut out there is early, so if you want bugling bulls, it seemed like the earlier the better.