Thread: Crabbing

Default Crabbing

Where is the closest place in or around Juneau to drop a crab pot, and what are the regs. I read them but it's a little confusing. I just have 1 pot, and Im not real serious about it but it sounds fun, and I love crab.

hit eagle harbor, I see a ton of people do well on dungies there (bout 300 yards off the fish farm) also try out in front of the boy scout camp.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Kings, dungies or tanners?

Not sure what kind of pot you've got. I'd reccomend starting with a dungy pot in an area close to you. I'd stay away from king crab at this time, it's closed. Dungies are easy to catch, just need to find the right habitat. And they taste great too-

I have heard that anywhere between the AML dock and Dupont Dock (on that side of the channel) is a prime spot with Sheep Creek looking like the best place in there. I always see broken carapices around the launch ramp in Douglas every time I launch my boat. Someone is catching them out there.
    Eagle Harbor should be good as well. Drop a pot there and do some halibut fishing out there while your waiting.
    Amalga always has a couple pots floating around in it. Worth a try since it's so close to the launch ramp. I would be willing to bet that Huffman Harbor (the bay just immediatly south of Amalga) is a good place for dungies also.

pretty much anywhere there is a terminal run of chums I'd assume theres a bunch of crabs and shrimp and stuff

Eagle beach is my favorite spot. I caught a dozen scuba diving a couple weeks ago. Another option is to pick them off the beach on a minus tide. I like to go out to the flats in front of cowee creek

wow you can pick dungies off the beach?!?! I'll have to try that

Not tellin' y'all where my pots are at, but please stay away from any buoys that read "Can Can"....! Thanks.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]