Thread: Gippsland GA-8 Airvan

Default Gippsland GA-8 Airvan

Would the Gippsland GA-8 Airvan be a good bush plane? I think it would if it had a power upgrade. It has 8 seats so you can have a lot of passengers and they are easily removeable for serious cargo hauls. What do you all think? The engine I think is only 300hp. There was one at the last SAREX in CAP I went to and the pilot said it nees a power upgrade for the mountains. Other than that would it be good for the bush? I was thinking maybe with floats.

bow-wow, they are a dog.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default agreed..

they are reminiscent of the old Lasa 60's that appeared around here 40 years ago or so.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I flew one in Africa and although all the pilots seemed to be in the habit of slating it it actually did a really good job.

On floats you would need the turbo or a turbine, but great to load as the pax just get in and sit down as its like a car so they don't get confused. It has a great lifting wing and we used to take some bloody huge loads out of hot and high strips and still manage to get a few thousand feet away from earth on the way home.

The seat is painful after a long day and it is a bit slow, I also don't know how it will be after twenty years of service in a bush environment as it is quite lightly built. But I liked it, it did its job well.