Thread: Buying a SuperCub

Default Buying a SuperCub

I'll be moving to Alaska this summer, and my dad and I are looking to buy a SuperCub, preferably in the Anchorage area. We're looking for a good, hard-working Cub, and we don't need too many bells and whistles. Could anyone suggest a good resource for me to start searching listings of Cubs for sale? Thanks.

Barron

drive around the airfields in Anchorage, Palmer, Birchwood, Talkeenta..etc and look for "For Sale" signs. Might even find a couple in the paper, but visit the fields is best. You do want all the bells and whistles because you are going to buy them eventually and it cheaper to get them at the start...much cheaper. Its going to cost you $80 - $110 K for a good cub in working condition thats not wrung out, worn out and crippled. Lots of basket cases you can buy for $60 - $70 K however, then you can put $60 k into them real fast.

If it does not have the goodies, its not a working cub...its a toy and a project.

I was going to ask about used cub prices up there, and you answered my question.

Lord above, I was looking at used cubs down here (very uncommon aircraft in the ND/MN region). Managed to find a couple in MN, both about 30 years old, all around very good condition (as per their listed info & specs, did not inspect them personally), and both were between 38-40K...

I've never seen a Cub for sale for under $50K that I considered as anything more than a project. I've seen several $75K Cubs that I considered to be projects. Heck, every Cub on the planet is an expensive project. Some just require rebuilding sooner than others.